Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Track the memory usage as a function of time

Kevin_Z_
Beginner

Hi forum users,

I have an executable and I would like to track its memory usage as a function of time. I tried the "memory access" view point, but could not extract this information.

The only relevant post I found on this topic is an ancient one. https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-vtune-amplifier-xe/topic/309766

Is this possible with VTune? What is the correct analysis set up? Any comment is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Kevin:

Yeah, VTune Amplifier is not really the right tool to measure memory usage.  Amplifier's memory analysis is targeted at determining memory-related architecture issues that may inhibit hotspots from achieving their maximum performance.

For memory usage analysis, I would recommend the Intel® Inspector.  Inspector has the ability to track heap growth and display this in real-time as well as analyze it after collection completes.  Check out this article.  Intel Inspector XE is part of the Intel® Parallel Studio XE.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@Kevin Z

It depends on your demands - if you need to know memory growth in specific period, please use Inspector; if you need to know memory objects' cost (load & average latency) in specific function, please refer to this blog. 

0 Kudos