Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Unable to create threads when running under vtune

Work__Dalon
Beginner

I have an MPI application that I am attempting to profile using VTune. No one at my company has experience with VTune, so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed, because I can't get it working.

My corporation has a cluster that we use for development purposes. VTune is installed, and has been used by others in the corporation (not my immediate company though) successfully.

When I run the application with any collect type other than hotspots, my application is unable to create threads using the pthreading library. The pthread_create() call returns an error status, which translates to "Resource temporarily unavailable". This vague error message leaves us baffled.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on what could be going on. Thank you.

Dalon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Dalon,

could you please describe few things a little more?

1. VTune Amplifier version, MPI version, OS version

2. How do you make a MPI launch with VTune collection?

3. What exact analysis type did you try? (I'm asking that because, for example, in hotspots analysis VTune can use different collectors according to the chosen options).

4. Did you try any common advises relating to this error? (for example, did you check things mentioned in the https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/253903/creating-threads-fails-with-resource-temporarily-unavailable-with-4-3-kernel ?)

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Also it makes sense to run <VTune_install_dir>/bin64/amplxe-self-checker.sh to see diagnostics for different analysis types run on VTune sample app that is also based on pthreads.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Work__Dalon
Beginner

Thank you for the responses! The culprit turned out to be the system limit on open file descriptors. Discovered this while reading perf documentation, then eventually found it mentioned somewhere in the VTune documentation as well.

Dalon

0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

Aha!  I had forgotten that we ran into exactly that problem with VTune on our very first (pre-production) 64-core KNL processors!   I guess the defaults on our systems were permanently changed after that, because we have not run into this problem again....

0 Kudos