Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Unable to install VTune Amplifier 2019 (any version) on Ubuntu 16.04

klein__patrick
Beginner

Hello fellow developers,

i have been unable to install any version of Intel VTune Amplifier 2019 on a machine running Ubuntu 16.04.

Upon starting the installation process (./install.sh as root user / the same behaviour is observed when running with sudo) in cli-mode, the "Initializing, please wait..." is shown and the program starts allocating RAM until the latter is exhausted at which point the process is simply killed. The machine has 16GB of RAM + 32 GB of swap space.

Installation as a non-root user works properly, however the installer does not detect the user being able to evaluate rights, hence drivers etc. are not installed. My user is part of the wheel group and has (password protected) access to sudo.

I did have Parallel Studio XE 2017 installed previously (to /opt/intel/..., i.e. the canonical installation path), but uninstalled it using the supplied uninstall script and removed /opt/intel afterwards.

I have a working installation of VTune on a Arch Linux machine that used the same installer.

I hope anyone experienced similiar issues and may be able to assist me.

Best regards and thanks,

Patrick.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anna_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Patrick,

Could you upload the log file from hanging installation. It is located in /tmp, search for  intel.pset.*.log

0 Kudos
klein__patrick
Beginner

Hi Anna,

i have attached the log as requested.

Best regards and thanks,

Patrick.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Patrick,

Can you please check if your Ubuntu configuration disables ability to execute files in /tmp?

0 Kudos
Eugene_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Patrick,

Could you please try the following?

• make custom directory for temporary files, for example /root/tmp
  • run VTune Amplifier installation by the command ./install.sh --tmp-dir /root/tmp

These actions should help if execution of files from /tmp is disabled.

0 Kudos
klein__patrick
Beginner

Hi Eugene,

neither setting --tmp-dir nor --download-dir to a chmod 777 non tmpfs directory owned by root stops the program from hanging.

Best regards,

Patrick.

0 Kudos