Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Unable to load .pdb files after profiling using VS2019

bechard__malcolm
Beginner

Hey,

After I profile my C++ application VTune just sits trying to load the .pdb for one of my libraries. It never moves past this .pdb. The .pdb it gets stuck on is random for each time I run. This application can be profiled without issue when compiled using VS2015 using the same Vtune version I've tried both compiling using /Zi and /Z7, but with the same results.

Behavior is identical when using the standalone VTune, or using the VS2019 integrated one. Anything I can do to help diagnose this?

Thanks

Operating system and version

Windows 10

Tool version:

VTune 2020, Update 1. 607630

Compiler version:

MSVC 2019. 16.5.4

GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)* or Microsoft Visual Studio* version (if applicable)

MSVC 2019. 16.5.4, 14.25.28610

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Can you collect and upload VTune logs here? While VTune is hung finalizing a result, get the PID of the vtune-backend.exe (you can find it in the Task Manager -> Details, pid column) and run the following command:

<VTune_install_dir\bin64\amplxe-feedback.exe -create-bug-report=hang -no-system-info -dump-stack=<vtune-backend.exe PID>

It will create hang.zip archive with VTune logs and a stack dump in the working directory.

And what debug information option is used for building your libraries? Can you try to build them with "/DEBUG:FULL"

0 Kudos
bechard__malcolm
Beginner

Thank you for the note about /DEBUG! I was using /DEBUG:fastlink, which is one thing that is different when compiling with VS2019 vs VS2015. Changing it back to just /DEBUG fixes the issue.

Is this a known limitation?

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Yes, there is a known limitation with /DEBUG:fastlink but VTune did not hang before. Thank you for reporting this issue.

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hey bechard, malcolm

Good to know the solution provided helps. Could you please confirm if we can close the case or is there anything else you need help with.

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
bechard__malcolm
Beginner

yep you can close it. I'll mention the program doesn't full hang, it just gets stuck trying to load the .dll/.pdb file .I can still somewhat interact with the window but I dont think the button really do much (such as cancel).

Thanks

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Thanks for the confirmation. We are closing the case. Please feel free to raise a new thread for further issues

0 Kudos