Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Unable to see function names in VTune Profiler

Anca2
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use VTune profiler on my Qt Creator C++ project. I am using the MinGW 11.2.0 compiler.

At this point I am unable to see the function names or their source files in VTune:

Anca2_1-1668791082569.png

So far I have tried setting these flags in my *.pro file, but the compiler is complaining about them:

QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE += /Zi
QMAKE_LFLAGS_RELEASE += /DEBUG

I have also tried building my project with the MSVC kit, but it doesn't compile, so that is not an option either.

All the documentation that I managed to find refers to Visual Studio, but that is not helpful for me since I am using Qt Creator.

Is there any way I could make VTune show me the function names ?

Many thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. 

While compiling the C++ program, you can use -g flag. This will debug the code, and the function names will thus be displayed in VTune Analysis. 

Eg: g++ input.cpp -g -o output.exe

I have taken a sample C++ program (Fibonacci) and compiled it with and without the -g flag and ran VTune (Hotspot) Analysis for both cases. As you can see below, the executable created with -g flag shows the function name, and the executable created without -g flag is not. 

with -g 

RemyaP_Intel_0-1669039366777.png

without -g

RemyaP_Intel_1-1669039417683.png

I assume this will resolve your issue. If yes, please make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with a similar issue. Thank you!

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

We haven't received any response from your end. Is your issue resolved?

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos