Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Unablt to get call graph

vikas_ma
Beginner
Hi,

I am using intel vtune to profile a isapi dll and it works fine in "sampling mode".

Now my problem is while using the call graph mode vtune generates the instrumented dll's and copies to required location properly, but when i start the web page using this isapi dll "service unavailable" is displayed in browser.

I used the dependency walker to check the insturmented dll i found that pcreposix-0 dependency was missing.

can any one help me on this.

~vikas
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nicolae_P_Intel
Employee
I need more info to be able to figure out what is happening with your app in case of vtune call-graph. However, if you do no need exact call-graph, you may try the Intel Performace Tuning Utility (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-tuning-utility). This tool, which you get for free as long as you have a valid vtune license, offers you among other things, two features wrt to call-graph:
1. statisticall call-graph (call stack sampling) which will give you kind of the same info as call-graph but it willbe based on call stack sampling (therefore the overhead should be way lower than in case of call-graph and you will get statistical data)
2. exact call-graph (PIN based) that should behave similary with the vtune call-graph with regards to the results

please let me know if you need more info on how to use iPTU.
0 Kudos
vikas_ma
Beginner
"Thankx for the reply. Here is what is getting printed in event viewer when we get "Service Unavailable" exception.

Could not load all ISAPI filters for site/service. Therefore startup aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0000: b6 00 00 00 ...

Hope this information is what you were expecting.

"It would be great if you could point me to the details of using iPTU

~vikas
0 Kudos
llywrch
Beginner
Quoting - vikas.ma
Hi,

I am using intel vtune to profile a isapi dll and it works fine in "sampling mode".

Now my problem is while using the call graph mode vtune generates the instrumented dll's and copies to required location properly, but when i start the web page using this isapi dll "service unavailable" is displayed in browser.

I used the dependency walker to check the insturmented dll i found that pcreposix-0 dependency was missing.

can any one help me on this.

~vikas

From what you've told us, it appears that you are writing some kind of web application (which is the reason for isapi.dll -- see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/at50e70y(VS.80).aspx), & this depends on pcreposix-0 for some reason -- either it works with Perl, or you are using regex.

It appears that when isapi.dll is instrumented, it somehow "forgets" where pcreposix-0.dll is located. Is this second dll part of the O/S or another file you wrote? If it is the latter, how does isapi.dll find this dll? Is its location hard-wired in the code, or does it depend on an environment variable being set? If the latter, you may have to explore how you set the environment so that the instrumented dll receives the environmental values.

That's my guess about what's going on. Hope it makes sense.

Geoff
0 Kudos