Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Uninstalling VTune 9

g_f_thomas
Beginner

I've been evaluating VT 9 in VS 2005 on Vista and decided that it's not for me.

VThadn't appeared in the Add/Remove list so I ran the uninstall from its start folder. Everything appeared to gofine. When I opened up VS 2005 again to my surprise I noticed an entry for VT on the VS splash screen. The About menu item didn't listVT as an installed component. In VS's Tools/Options there was a node I hadn't noticed beforedubbed TuningPropertyPages which appears to be VT related. Additionally, the Options window opens withthemessage'An error occurredloading this property page'and opening the TuningPropertyPagesnode displays nothing, nor do any of its sub nodes. Furthermore, VS's output pane reads: 'The VpePkg Package ({4A1CBBEB-5B65-4D8E-99F9-9C5DA2AE017E}) did not load because of previous errors. For assistance, contact the package vendor. To attempt to load this package again, type 'devenv /resetskippkgs' at the command prompt.'

In contrast to Visual Fortran, there is no indication that VT installeda VSintegration component. I looked in the C:Program FilesIntel folder only to find that a VT folder was still hanging around even though the uninstaller claimed to have successfullyremoved VT from my system. I examined the registry only to discover that it hadn't been cleaned up as part of the uninstall.

So in the absence of a VS integration component how do I rid VS of the errant VT Options node and remove VT's entry from the VS splash screen?

Thanks,

Gerry

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Andrey_Pavlenko
Beginner

Hi Gerry,

First of all, could you specify the exact VTune version and package you installed?

It can be found in the support.txt file in the root of unpacked install media.

I checked your scenario on Vista with VS2005 using the latest VTune package (9.0 Update 5) and didn't reproduced the problems:

• It appeared in Add/Remove programs list
  • It did uninstall successfully
  • It doesn't appear neither on VS splash screen nor in VS About box after uninstallation

Anyway, to completely remove VTune references from VS try to apply the following reg-file:

===BEGIN===

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftVisualStudio8.0InstalledProductsVTune Performance Analyzer]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftVisualStudio8.0Packages{0C9EA19B-4D8E-4DC2-8857-BADC8CE59655}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftVisualStudio8.0ToolWindows{64A3F9FB-DE97-4BE9-98E3-D29B8C3FDDED}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftVisualStudio8.0ToolWindows{790D49F7-DCC4-4D09-A63D-7D3ED59095C5}]

===END===

And then launch "devenv.exe /setup" command in the VS folder (usually "C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDE").

Let me know if it helps.

/Andy.

0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner

Andy,

I reinstalled VT (w_vt_p_9.0.016) and uninstalled successfully and tidied up the registry.

All is fine now.

Thanks for your help.

Gerry

ps I put the situation I previously described down to the handiwork of MS gremlins too excited to wait for Halloween.

0 Kudos