Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Using VTune Profiler with Visual Studio 2019

shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

I have installed VTune Profiler recently to profile an OpenCL project on VS2019. I need some help with how can I profile my code with VTune. 

I could not find anything helpful yet. If I can get some document that discusses the step-by-step procedure starting from the welcome page, it would be very helpful for a newbie like me.

Thanks,

Gaurav.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out.

Refer the below link to know the step by step procedure.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/launch/microsoft-visual-studio-integration.html

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Hope we have answered your questions.Could you please give us an update?

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

I followed this document for profiling my OpenCL application, but I am unfortunately getting the error as attached.

• I selected my output .exe in Application
  • And the relevant parameters in Application Parameters
  • In the analysis type, I selected GPU Offload

I see the following error after I click Start.

Gaurav.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Try the below code sample for GPU offload.If you get any error ,share the screenshot of it so that we could figure out the exact issue.

https://github.com/intel/BaseKit-code-samples/tree/master/VtuneProfiler/matrix_multiply_vtune

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi, 

That is working fine. I tried with the sample example that packaged with VTune. I got the following outputs.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the immediate response.

Seems like your CPU based analysis is working fine.Did you try that code sample for GPU offload?

If not, try that and send the screenshot.

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

I tried that just now and found the same error as my application.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

This happens when application invokes other processes for which the user does not have read privileges ,so before running GPU offload uncheck the "Analyze child processes" option in the what pane in Vtune GUI.

Let us know if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

It gives the same error even after trying the suggested.

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

Is there something else that's causing the issue?

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Try running self checker script in vtune installed directory.Self checker script is to validate whether the appropriate drivers are installed and system is set up properly to collect performance data.You can find vtune-self-checker.sh script in <install-dir>/bin64. After running self checker script you will get a log file.

Also try in a standalone version and check whether you get the same error.

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

I could not find vtune-self-checker.sh on my system. Is something wrong with my installation?

On running in the standalone version, my .exe gave a crash message and I got the error as in the attached snap.

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

Can someone please help me with this? I am getting no clue.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

We have 2021.1-beta06 and we have self checker script in it.May I know your vtune version?

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

The latest I could find on the website is 2020 update 1, as shown in the image attached. 

I am not sure where to find the version you have.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Try installing the latest version of  oneapi basekit for windows(https://dynamicinstaller.intel.com/oneapi/toolkits/base-kit/win/).After installing you will find vtune-self-checker.bat in the path intel/inteloneapi/vtune/bin64 .Run that file and let us know the update.

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

Following are my findings after installing oneapi:

• matrix.exe crashes after running vtune-self-checker.bat
  • It gives some errors at each step. Snaps attached.
0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Kindly follow the procedures mentioned in the below link, also run vtune as well as command prompt with run as admin and let us know the updates.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/set-up-analysis-target/windows-targets/installing-the-sampling-drivers-for-windows-targets.html

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Has this issue been resolved?Could you please give us an update?

0 Kudos
shekhar__gaurav
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I have attached my findings here following the above link.

0 Kudos