Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune 2016 Beta fails on Hotspot and Advanced Hotspot

Towie__Ewan
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am having endless problems getting the VTune 2016 Beta to profile my application. The application seg faults when run in VTune with a completely unhelpful stack trace despite debugging symbols being available. The application runs fine both through my debugger and on the command line.

I am currently trying to work through its warnings to figure out what might be the problem and one thing that sticks out is the following 

strace: /opt/intel_beta/vtune_amplifier_xe_2016.0.1.414512/lib64/pinruntime/glibc/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by strace)

Checking the folder above, libc.so.6 is a symbolic link to libc-2.3.4.so in the same folder. What worries me is that VTune is using the system strace tool and my system is on libc.2.12.so.

For reference I am running on CentOS 6.6, VTune supports CentOS 6.5 but glibc hasn't changed between these versions.

Help desperately needed!

Ewan

0 Kudos
24 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Ewan:

I just verified that the __itt_resume() API works on Linux.  Please ensure that the API is being called and that you are using the "Start Paused" button or option to start the collection.

0 Kudos
Towie__Ewan
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am definitely calling the API and using the Start Paused button. As I say, the collection control API works perfectly with the Basic Hotspots analysis and only fails to resume under Advanced Hotspots. Oddly, the Advanced Hotspots seems to correctly catch the pause call?

I am accessing the ITT notify library through the following USE command in my Fortran code:

USE ittnotify, ONLY: itt_pause, itt_resume

and then calling the routines with:

CALL itt_resume()

CALL itt_pause()

I am directly linking and including the ittnotify module by adding the following compilation command to my compile line:

-I/opt/intel_beta/vtune_amplifier_xe/include/intel64

and adding the following link command to my link line:

/opt/intel_beta/vtune_amplifier_xe/lib64/libittnotify.a

Ewan

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Okay, I finally got confirmation that this was a defect in the beta code and should be addressed in the production release.  Basically, the API works except when using the "Start Paused" functionality. :(

One workaround would be to insert a call the the pause() routine as the first statement in your app.

0 Kudos
Towie__Ewan
New Contributor I

Haha, ok that makes total sense ;) I think I already have a pause() call at the start of the code so I shall try just using the "Start" button.

Am hoping you get the Concurrency mode bug resolved soon, this is where I want to focus my attention for the next stage of the optimisation.

Ewan

0 Kudos