Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune 7.0 crashes w2k

fobef
Beginner
I installed the demo version of VTune (7.0, build: 10246) yesterday. Call graph works without problems, but when I try Sampling, it only works when using the "Time-based using OS timer" option. Otherwise, windows 2000 reboots without even showing a blue screen. When trying to use Counter Monitor it seems to complete the first two graphs, and then reboots about the time that the third graph should begin.
Anyone with similar problems?
I'm using Visual Studio 7.0 / w2k SP4 / Tualatin Celeron 1400.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Have you run disk check? In my experience, running Vtune greatly increases the incidence of file system corruption. I keep both 2K and XP installed, so when one of them dies running Vtune, I can use the other to run disk check. In the absence of a multi-boot installation, it would be good to keep the recovery systems in order.
0 Kudos
fobef
Beginner

I havn't seen any problems with the disk yet, but I'll follow your advice and run scandisk.

I have tried some other things now. I installed AMD's CodeAnalyst, and the exact same thing happens! The computer just reboots. I then tried to start a minimal program for the performance counters, and that worked fine, so maybe it's something with the timer only.

0 Kudos