Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5088 Discussions

[VTune] Outside any known module when collecting memory access data

e_ds
Novice

Hello,

I am running the following commands on VTune:

vtune -collect memory-access --result-dir my_dir my_app > my_dir/log.out
vtune -report hw-events -r my_dir -report-output my_dir/events.csv -format csv -csv-delimiter comma

The events.csv file contains the events for each function in the application. Among such functions, I noticed this one: [Outside any known module]

Here you can see an example of the events and functions on the csv file:

e_ds_0-1717432063623.png

Could you please explain me why this entry appears? Moreover, if I want to aggregate the values of a specific event for my application, shall I take this entry into account?

I am using VTune(TM) Profiler 2023.1.0 on a Linux server

Thank you!
1 Solution
yuzhang3_intel

It looks like VTune doesn't use the SEP driver. Have you checked if your VTune driver is ready?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
yuzhang3_intel

If your application was built as a debug version? and please try with specifying  '-search-dir' and '-source-search-dir'. 

0 Kudos
e_ds
Novice

Hello @yuzhang3_intel 

Thank you for your reply.

The application was built using the debug flag -g3. I tried specifying '-search-dir' and '-source-search-dir', but the result does not change.

Do you have any other suggestion?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

Not sure what causes the module not parsed. Could you please post the collection type the VTune used for the memory access profiling?  You can get the 'Collector Type' from the summary report .

$ vtune -R summary -r your_vtune_data

0 Kudos
e_ds
Novice

Hello @yuzhang3_intel ,

Here is the information you asked:

Collector Type: Driverless Perf system-wide sampling

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

It looks like VTune doesn't use the SEP driver. Have you checked if your VTune driver is ready?

0 Kudos
e_ds
Novice

Hello @yuzhang3_intel 

I have checked and it seems SEP driver is not installed, even though I can see the SEP application installed on the system. 

I tried to run the insmod-sep binary from the VTune folder, but I do not have the permissions to execute it since I am using a node on a computing cluster. 

Do you know if there is a way to use SEP functionality from user level?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

No, the  .ko drivers are required to be inserted into the kernel. 

0 Kudos
e_ds
Novice

Hello @yuzhang3_intel 

I see, thank you for the clarification and your help!

0 Kudos