Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

VTune Terminates Application

Chithirai_Vadivu_Sub
Having some issues in VTune Performance Analyser for Linus:

1. When starting the application either from VTune or attached a running application to VTune for sampling, once sampling is over, the threads in the application comes to uninterrupted sleep state.

2. Even though the sampling duration is increased for about 5 mins during configuration, sampling happens only for 1 or 2 mins.

Can anyone help to solve this?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi,

Please see my quick answers below.

1. "...once sampling is over, the threads in the application comes to uninterrupted sleep state." Can you modify the sampling activity and check "Terminateapplication(s) when data collection finishes" on? If you set this option on, sampling collector will terminate your process. However if your applicationforkedother processes/threads during data collection, sampling collector can't recognizethem as launched application, sothey will not be terminated.

2. "...sampling duration is increased for about 5 mins...sampling happens only for 1 or 2 mins". Maybe your application ran shortly and you checked "when application(s) terminate (before duration expires) on? As I mentioned on Q1,if your appforkedother processes/threads andyourmain processexited shortly - samplingwill stop. So please un-check "when application(s) terminate (before duration expires)" on, set big value for "Duration", and stop sampling data collection manually.

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Chithirai_Vadivu_Sub
Having some issues in VTune Performance Analyser for Linus:

1. When starting the application either from VTune or attached a running application to VTune for sampling, once sampling is over, the threads in the application comes to uninterrupted sleep state.

2. Even though the sampling duration is increased for about 5 mins during configuration, sampling happens only for 1 or 2 mins.

Can anyone help to solve this?

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The application now runs without terminating.

But still the sampling happens only for 2mins even though it has been configured as 5mins. The application runs continuously. Even then the sampling stops after 2mins.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

That is so strange - you have unchecked "when application(s) terminate (before duration expires)" item, it still happened. If you did this, sampling collector will not check if your application is terminated or not, to decide if stop sampling.

You said, your application will terminate after 2 mins, actually it ran 5 mins (sampling still ran 5 mins)?

I suggest you to launch application manually -I meanto run sampling (set 5 mins for duration) without launching application. What happens?

Sampling data collection will collect performance data for all active applications in the system, so this is a workaround for the problem.

Is it the problem for your app specific?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Chithirai_Vadivu_Sub

That is so strange - you have unchecked "when application(s) terminate (before duration expires)" item, it still happened. If you did this, sampling collector will not check if your application is terminated or not, to decide if stop sampling.

You said, your application will terminate after 2 mins, actually it ran 5 mins (sampling still ran 5 mins)?

I suggest you to launch application manually -I meanto run sampling (set 5 mins for duration) without launching application. What happens?

Sampling data collection will collect performance data for all active applications in the system, so this is a workaround for the problem.

Is it the problem for your app specific?

Regards, Peter

Application is not terminating after 2mins...It is running continuously. Sampling is happening only for 2mins even though the sampling durationis configured to 5mins.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Application is not terminating after 2mins...It is running continuously. Sampling is happening only for 2mins even though the sampling durationis configured to 5mins.

I assumed that you launched application manually. It seems that this problemis due to your app (I can't reproduce this problem for other applications. Am I right?)

Please attach application, soI can investigate this on my side. Thank you.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos