Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune analyzer 2.0 beta test archives

jeffrey-gallagher
This readonly thread is an archive of the postings that were posted during the beta test program for this software. The product is now currently available for sale or evaluation at:
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
56 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher

Jay I'm concerned you couldn't open a case. Can you please try again, and note that alphabetically, the product is not under "V" for VTune, but "B" for Beta.

What do you think?

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
jayaprakashp
Beginner
Yeah. I did look for beta btw. I tried opening the case for VTUNE beta, but it fails saying "Internal error". May be I'm not officially allowed to post an issue for beta.

Thanks
JP
0 Kudos
isn-removed924
Beginner

So there is a bit of hope still...

I'm usingVTServer from VTune Analyzer7.1 Beta.

I guess you're implying Thread View should work with standalone Analyzer 2.0 for Linux. Is that right?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Try opening a report using either another computer, or a different browser on your current computer, or both.
We're not getting reports that there's a problem on our end.
If you registered the beta software, you should be able to open your own premier case.
If you can try one or both of my above suggestions, and you have the same problem, I'll want your email account to check out what's failing for you on this end. You can send your email account to me at vtune.sales@intel.com, subject FOR JDG
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Actually, not that I mind being accused of optimism (inadvertent or otherwise) I just wanted to get my bearings before proceeding.
:)
Stay tuned. I'll report back soonest.
jdg
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
The title says it all.
Everybody here in the forum wants to wish everybody out there a safe, healthy, and prosperous 2004!
(Also, keep sending in those great questions, answers, and comments!)
cheers,
jdg
(for the whole Intel forum team)
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey team,
If you're going to be in NYC for LinuxWorld JAN 2004, be sure to drop by the Intel booth and say hello to the VTune and compiler team members there!
We'd love to shake your hand, chat about these forums and how you're enjoying using them. Now, here's the formal announcement!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2004 LinuxWorld Conference and Expois January 21-23 at New York City'sJavits Center. If you plan on attending,stop by the Intel booth, #645, and check out our showcase ofthe latest Intel software development tools and services.

We are alsoholdinga Linux software development tools Birds-of-a-Feather(BOF)on Wednesday, January 21, 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM in room 1E07. Stop byand receive a special gift!

Linux* Compilers and Profiling Tools: Do they REALLY Make a Difference?

If you've ever done any Linux software optimization or are thinking about it,this session is for you. Industry experts will be on hand to fuel discussion around common issues and use of tools in a variety of development environments.

Learn how to identify your current optimization challenges and hear how others are successfully managing theirs

Get with your fellow travelers to learn which tools work and which don't

Share information about best known practices and related costs

Profiling tools can substantially reduce your development time. Don't let your busy schedule writing and rewriting code keep you away.For more information and to register for this BOF seminar, visit http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/linuxworldny/V40/conference/session.cvn?eID=388.

If you havent registered for the 2004 LinuxWorld Conference and Expo, do it now: http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/linuxworldny/V40/index.cvn. Join your fellow travelers and industry experts to get the latest on software development tools for Intel-based Linux development.

0 Kudos
goanuj
Beginner
Has anyone been successful at getting this to work on Gentoo? What kernel level patches are needed for 2.6.X?
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

Hello Henric,

You've hit the nail on the head already: the tarball you downloadedvt_cli_2.0.348.tar is not beta, it's final product. Beta licenses don't work with final product.

My understanding is that this licensing issue was a bug, and if you register again you will get an appropriate license (if you have a second email handy to give it a try, that is.) If that doesn't work for you, post here again and we'll investigate what is wrong with your specific registration.
cheers
jdg

Message Edited by jdgallag on 01-28-2004 10:41 AM

0 Kudos
nauch
Beginner
Hi,

I'm trying to use the sampling feature of vtune to profile my application built with icc but I keep getting "no symbols were found" when I try to view the hotspot function results for a shared object (.so) module.

I've boiled this down to a simple test case which works fine with gcc but not with icc.

$ cat foo.h
#ifndef FOO_H
#define FOO_H
void foo ();
#endif

(please substitute "less-than" for appropriate symbol, the forum things I'm trying to post html when I have an angle bracket)

$ cat foo.c
#include "foo.h"
void foo () {
int i;
for( i = 0; i less-than 100000000; i++) {
}
}

$ cat main.c
#include "foo.h"
int main () {
int i;
for( i = 0; i less-than 5; i++) {
foo();
}
}

$ icc -g -shared -fPIC foo.c -o libfoo.so
$ icc -g -c main.c -o main.o
$ icc main.o -lfoo -L.
$ vtl activity -c sampling -app a.out run
[ vtune runs ]
$ vtl show -hf -mn libfoo.so
[ .. event information .. ]
No symbols were found

If I compile *exactly* the same way using gcc instead of icc I will get the desired results (i.e. I get event %'s about my functions). I've also tried compiling with gcc using the -gdwarf-2 flag in place of the -g flag which also gives the desired results.

Why does this not work with the intel compiler? Is VTune not capable of profiling an application built this way? Does anybody have any ideas what could be wrong?

Thank You,

Nathan

some info:

icc: Version 8.0
gcc: Version 2.96
OS : RedHat 7.3 [kernel 2.4.18-3] (also tried on RHAS2.1)
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

Hey Nathan,

VERY interesting problem description.

But before we dig in too far, which version of vtune are you using?

$ vtl version

0 Kudos
nauch
Beginner
VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 for Linux*
Build: 348
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Henric,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to let us know what happened to you. I'll ask the web site controllers to take a look at the link that caused you the trouble.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
We've not tried gentoo around here, goanuj, and probably won't any time soon. However, here's the latest as of this writing on 2.6.
On the VDK website, we have version of VDK sources for kernel 2.6.0-test5 on x86 that works with VTune 7.0 and CLI 1.1.

http://www.intel.com/software/products/opensource/vdk/

However, it requires a patch to kernel 2.6.0-test5 (i.e., users must rebuild that kernel with the patch, and we include the patch along with the VDK sources).

We have not tested/ported VDK driver to any version of kernel 2.6.x (patched or otherwise) on Itanium Linux as yet.

I hope this helps.

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
MARIA_M_Intel
Employee
test
0 Kudos