Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune analyzer 2.0 beta test archives

jeffrey-gallagher
This readonly thread is an archive of the postings that were posted during the beta test program for this software. The product is now currently available for sale or evaluation at:
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
56 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Some of you may already be aware that the Borland Conference (BorCon) is being held next week in San Jose, CA, November 1-5. If you're going to be in the area, you should be sure to drop into the Intel booth anytime to say hello.

Or, if your schedule permits be sure to check out one or both(!) of these VTune events, both currently scheduled there for Tuesday, November 4:

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 4, 2003
10:00am -- 11:45am
Using VTune, Technical Presentation
Gary Carleton, Sr. VTune Consulting Engineer
Gary is giving a talk on using the VTune analyzer to tune applications built with C++Builder.

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 4, 2003
1:00pm -- 1:45pm
VTune User SHARE/Birds of a feather
Various VTune team members
Gary and I and other members of the VTune team will be in this 45-minute session where we can talk about anything and everything VTune, whatever's on your mind, kudos, suggestions for improvement, bugs, you name it. This is your chance to SHARE your ideas and feedback with the folks who know the software best, and our managers eat this stuff up for breakfast. Come tell us what's on your mind -- we'll be all ears!

If you are able to drop in, be sure to mention you read about the session in this Forum!

It's all taking place in the San Jose Convention Center, but for more information on BorCon, you should visit their site
here.
0 Kudos
rodaz
Beginner
Hi,

I've been trying to get vtune working on a debian itanium2 system. I know it's not a supported system, but maybe someone can tell me what's going on anyway.

I've made all sorts of tricks to get it installed (which I can post on request), and I think I have everything covered in the install process. However, right now the error I get is this:
# /opt/intel/vtune/shared/bin/vtl
Error 0x800706ba: Unable to create the VTShell object. Make sure the Shell library is properly installed and registered.

Can anyone help me to get further, or should I just give up on debian?
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Rodaz, I admire your spirit of adventure but my guess is that your chances of success are virtually zero. It might not be a worthwhile use of your time to continue. And the reason why follows.

The supporting services that allow vtl to work rely heavily on (and are validated to) very specific Red Hat and SuSE default releases and their subcomponents. This includes not just kernel versions to each and every digit, but also versions of glib, glibc, glibc++, and other libraries as well I think.

I don't know if Debian alters their kernel very much before releasing it with a given distribution, but you could always go to kernel.org and get a supported version, easy peasy. But, it's with the other bits that things get a little complicated.

I'd compare what you're attempting with trying to replace and adjust a new CRT for your computer monitor (not flat panel, obviously). You could spend hours replacing that tube and its flyback transformer, adjusting the color guns, all the other visual components (horizontal, vertical, purity, etc.) but there's still no guarantee you'll like the way the monitor looks when you're done. Clearly for the average user it's just easier to completely swap the monitor out, bam.

My advice: if you need vtl to get some optimizing done, stick to the exact releases mentioned in the release notes.

ALSO note though: if you're married to Debian itself, the Linux remote agents with VTune analyzer 7.0 may work for you. I'd recommend the 7.1 version currently in beta, which you may already know about if you read other forums here at IDS.

If you want to take a look, click here

cheers

jdg

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 12-09-2005 02:25 PM

0 Kudos
robert_zwolinski
Beginner
This was asked previously, but I'd like to re-ask, now that Redhat Enterprise Linux 3.0 is GA.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey Robert.Zwolinski@compuware.com,

We're still hammering out our schedule for supporting it, RZ, and I'll post the info here as soon as it's solid.

(Yes, we'll be supporting it; the question is --> when.)

Stay tuned.

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I have problems installing the beta on and AS 2.1 (kernel 2.4.18-e37, glibc 2.2.4-32.8).

The install program runs for several minutes (after selectin g 1, accepting licences and seeing "unpacking files ..." on the screen). The install program does not stop completly it uses a percent of cpu or so... (15 seconds in 20 minutes).
First run it got a segv after 20 minutes. Second attempt hasn't terminated yet.
There is no entries after last success in the install.log.
It has extracted a number of rpm-files

What does the install program due?
install the rpms, update some environement shell script and add some files to /etc/init.d?
Why the hell does it have to be done by a buggy install-program?

/Tommy

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey Tommy,

Thanks for taking the time to report the bug you're seeing! Fact is, it's a new one to us around here, I haven't talk to anybody who's seen it before, so we're super glad you checked in.

To answer your first question, the install program installs the vtl software itself; a series of support services that vtl needs called EntireX; an analyzer kernel driver kit; and, if you choose to let it, install will also alter your boot and shutdown script directories to automatically insert the needed kernel sampling drivers on bootup (using insmod) so that vtl sampling will work. Of course, if you tell the install program NOT to edit your rc scripts, it won't, and you can manually insmod the drivers yourself.

Lots of things could be going on, let me suggest you try the following things:

1) If the server runs out of disk space in the installation filesystem (df -v) or runs out of processes during the installation, it could hang up the install itself, no system resources being available to report trouble or write to the log.

2) Is NFS or an otherwise networked filesystem in use on the server you're installing to? If so, try to install locally ONLY, and let's see if the problem changes or stays the same.

A typical install on a slow processor should take about 8 or 9 minutes, no patience required. Is there a second system in your area that you could start an install on just to compare results?

If none of these suggestions shed any light on your installation and the behavior you're seeing, please head on over to our Premier web site and report the failure exactly as you have it here.

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
It installed on the third attempt in about 60 minutes.
I installed on another machine with almost the same setup (differs on patchlevels for none critical rpms, kernel, libc and so are identical).

About possible reasons:
1) 4.5GB free on / (which includes installation target /opt), so I doubt thats a problem

2) The source was placed on an nfs-mounted partition (from which I frequently install rpms without any problem). The target directory is local though.

If 2) is the reason: what magic does install do? Is it the IA32 code for working over nfs that emulates badly on IA64? (But shurely you use the running operating system functionality to access the nfs filesystem?)

/Tommy

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Good detective work Tommy.

The issue with NFS is known, and is being worked on. For those folks who can install without it, using only local directories, we encourage it (for now).

FYI only, because you seem interested in the details, we've isolated the issue to a specific call in the code of the support services that vtl requires to operate.

Here's the short story: fcntl() calls don't work reliably on nfs volumes.

We intend to address this issue as quickly as possible, not waiting for the next release of our software. I think we're still talking first quarter of next year, perhaps at the earliest.

jdg

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Intel Software NetworkCommunity Forums will be re-launching with a new look and a new platform with increased functionality and features. We will have a downtime on Wednesday, 11/19/03 from 5pm - 8pm PST. During this time, users will have read-only access to the forums.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us here.

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 12-01-2005 10:16 AM

0 Kudos
isn-removed924
Beginner
Hi,
I was just browsing the documentation and didn't see "counter monitor" collector mentioned anywhere. Even the man pages are only for callgraph and sampling collectors...
I was wondering if vtune for Linux supports counter monitor collector.
As I haven't installed the package yet, can't checkavailable collectorsthrough "vtl query -lc".
Thanks
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

Great question Rostam.

In a word, no. The counter monitor functionality has not yet been added to the Linux product, and won't be added anytime too soon. FYI only.

cheers,

jdg

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Anybody else out there missing counter monitor?

Message Edited by MADjdgallag on 12-03-2003 10:42 AM

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

More on this: EL 3.0 won't be supported by vtl 2.0 this year, most likely though at the very beginning of next year.

NOTE though, that when VTune 7.1 releases at the beginning of next year, it will have EL 3.0 support right at its release. If those few weeks will make a difference in your optimization timeschedule, you should surely take a look at 7.1 when it comes out, rather than waiting for vtl 2.0.

Just wanted to make sure you knew all of your options.

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
jayaprakashp
Beginner
Hi there,
I installed vtune 2.0 for linux on an 8-way SMP Xeon running linux AS2.1. After the installation, I was able to start the vtune driver. But when I invoke the "vtl" for activity collection, I get an error.
This is the error I got:
"Error 0x80040154: Unable to create the VTShell object. Make sure the Shell library is properly installed and registered." I could not find more information about this in the doc pages either.
Can you please help?
Thanks,
JP
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
VERY interesting report, Jayaprakashp!
It might make more sense to open a premier case for this, attaching your install.log file (that was created during the vtl installation).
In the meanwhile, consider:
1)Scan through the install.log file, it might show you some installation failures that can be corrected?
2) Did you install as root?
3) Was a previous version of vtl or the VTServer (the linux remote agent for the Windows version of the VTune analyzer) installed already when you installed?
4) Is NFS in your environment, and if so, can you uninstall and reinstall so that the software is installed fully on local filesystems only?
5) Do you see the same behavior with root and non root users, belonging to the appropriate "vtune" (if you picked that default) user group?
6) No guarantees, but might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling, just to see if the behavior changes.
Please let me know what you find, and, if nothing I suggested helps, be sure to open your premier case.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
jayaprakashp
Beginner
Hi Jdg,
Thanks for responding. I tried all your options and I'll reply to your questions one by one.
1)Scan through the install.log file, it might show you some installation failures that can be corrected?
I've attached it to the end of this email...
2) Did you install as root?
YES. I did install as root.
3) Was a previous version of vtl or the VTServer (the linux remote agent for the Windows version of the VTune analyzer) installed already when you installed?
I removed all installations of Vtune analyzer. I had a remote agent installed. But I found that it is lacking certain features that we expected - call graph fails to work with certain libraries, files were not brought to the windows machine properly... So, we decided to remove it and give the beta 2.0 a shot.I removed the remote agent entirely before installing 2.0.
4) Is NFS in your environment, and if so, can you uninstall and reinstall so that the software is installed fully on local filesystems only?
No. I installed it on the native /opt (default) mount which is on the local disk.
5) Do you see the same behavior with root and non root users, belonging to the appropriate "vtune" (if you picked that default) user group?
Yes. It gives me the same error if I run it as root, or as any other. I added "users" and "root" groups for privileges to run vtl - during installation.
6) No guarantees, but might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling, just to see if the behavior changes.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. It is giving me the same error. I checked everything and the required daemons seem to be running fine - ntd, sag, dcom, vtune. There are two failures - which were not there during the first install. For the first install, everything went smooth.
Here's the install log:

Wed 12 13:46:44 Success - User chose the all components installation.

Wed 12 13:46:49 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 13:46:49 Success - User chose the VTune Performance Analyzer Driver Kit installation.

Wed 12 13:46:56 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 13:47:27 Success - Test for required hardware and software - done.

Wed 12 13:47:28 Success - The group "sag" was created.

Wed 12 13:47:28 Success - The user "sag" has been added into group "sag".

Wed 12 13:47:28 Success - EntireX DCOM for Linux is installing into /opt/sag directory

Wed 12 13:47:31 Success - Installation of the dcom-license-v6.1.1-36.i386.rpm

Wed 12 13:47:57 Success - Installation of the dcom-v6.1.1-36.i386.rpm

Wed 12 13:47:58 Success - EntireX DCOM for Linux was successfully installed.

Wed 12 13:48:37 Success - Install destination set to /opt/intel/vtune

Wed 12 13:48:44 Success - User choice of install options "-U --replacefiles" was accepted.

Wed 12 13:48:46 Succe ss - Installation of the intel-vdk-src-2.0-146.rpm.

Wed 12 13:48:48 Success - Installation of the intel-vdk-2.0-146.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 13:48:49 Success - Scripts have been customized.

Wed 12 13:49:09 Success - User chose to install the VTune analyzer driver boot script.

Wed 12 13:49:11 Success - Configuring autoload of VTune analyzer driver for runlevels 2 through 5

Wed 12 13:49:11 Success - Installation of the VTune Performance Analyzer Driver Kit 2.0 is complete.

Wed 12 13:49:19 Success - The install destination has been set to /opt/intel/vtune

Wed 12 13:49:25 Success - User choice of install options "-U --replacefiles" was accepted.

Wed 12 13:49:35 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-shell-2.0b-234.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 13:49:38 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-ism-2.0b-234.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 13:49:41 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-bistro-2.0-13001.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 13:49:44 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-lips-2.0-13001.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 13:50:03 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-analyzer-2.0b-235.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 13:51:52 Success - Directory for global data was set to /opt/intel/vtune/global_data

Wed 12 13:51:53 Success - Wrappers have been configured.

Wed 12 13:52:18 Success - VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 Beta for Linux* was successfully installed.

Wed 12 14:15:39 Success - User chose the VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 for Linux* installation.

Wed 12 14:15:46 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 14:16:04 Success - Test for required hardware and software - done.

Wed 12 14:16:06 Failed - VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 Beta for Linux* is already installed.

Wed 12 14:18:08 Success - User chose the VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 for Linux* installation.

Wed 12 14:18:15 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 14:18:34 Success - Test for required hardware and software - done.

Wed 12 14:18:34 Failed - Installation of the VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 Beta for Linux*. dcom-v6.1.1 must be installed.

Wed 12 14:18:47 Success - User chose the VTune Performance Analyzer Driver Kit installation.

Wed 12 14:18:49 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 14:19:12 Success - Test for required hardware and software - done.

Wed 12 14:19:13 Success - EntireX DCOM for Linux is installing into /opt/sag directory

Wed 12 14:19:16 Success - Installation of the dcom-license-v6.1.1-36.i386.rpm

Wed 12 14:19:42 Success - Installation of the dcom-v6.1.1-36.i386.rpm

Wed 12 14:19:42 Success - EntireX DCOM for Linux was successfully installed.

Wed 12 14:20:07 Success - Install destination set to /opt/intel/vtune

Wed 12 14:20:08 Success - User choice of install options "-U --replacefiles" was accepted.

Wed 12 14:20:10 Success - Installation of the intel-vdk-src-2.0-146.rpm.

Wed 12 14:20:13 Success - Installation of the intel-vdk-2.0-146.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 14:20:13 Success - Scripts have been customized.

Wed 12 14:20:32 Success - User chose to install the VTune analyzer driver boot script.

Wed 12 14:20:34 Success - Configuring autoload of VTune analyzer driver for runlevels 2 through 5

< P>Wed 12 14:20:35 Success - Installation of the VTune Performance Analyzer Driver Kit 2.0 is complete.

Wed 12 14:20:38 Success - The install destination has been set to /opt/intel/vtune

Wed 12 14:20:41 Success - User choice of install options "-U --replacefiles" was accepted.

Wed 12 14:20:45 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-shell-2.0b-234.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 14:20:48 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-ism-2.0b-234.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 14:20:52 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-bistro-2.0-13001.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 14:20:54 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-lips-2.0-13001.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 14:21:04 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-analyzer-2.0b-235.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 14:21:59 Success - Directory for global data was set to /opt/intel/vtune/global_data

Wed 12 14:21:59 Success - Wrappers have been configured.

Wed 12 14:22:04 Success - VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 Beta for Linux* was successfully installed.

Wed 12 14:56:20 Success - User chose the all components installation.

Wed 12 14:56:25 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 14:56:25 Success - User chose the VTune Performance Analyzer Driver Kit installation.

Wed 12 14:56:28 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 14:56:55 Success - Test for required hardware and software - done.

Wed 12 14:56:56 Failed - EntireX DCOM for Linux has already been installed.

Wed 12 14:57:20 Failed - VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 Beta for Linux* is already installed.

Wed 12 15:00:29 Success - User chose the all components installation.

Wed 12 15:00:34 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 15:00:34 Success - User chose the VTune Performance Analyzer Driver Kit installation.

Wed 12 15:00:37 Success - User chose to accept the EULA file for installing the product.

Wed 12 15:00:59 Success - Test for required hardware and software - done.

Wed 12 15:01:00 Success - EntireX DCOM for Linux is installing into /opt/sag directory

Wed 12 15:01:03 Success - Installation of the dcom-license-v6.1.1-36.i386.rpm

Wed 12 15:01:29 Success - Installation of the dcom-v6.1.1-36.i386.rpm

Wed 12 15:01:29 Success - EntireX DCOM for Linux was successfully installed.

Wed 12 15:01:44 Success - Install destination set to /opt/intel/vtune

Wed 12 15:01:45 Success - User choice of install options "-U --replacefiles" was accepted.

Wed 12 15:01:47 Success - Installation of the intel-vdk-src-2.0-146.rpm.

Wed 12 15:01:50 Success - Installation of the intel-vdk-2.0-146.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 15:01:50 Success - Scripts have been customized.

Wed 12 15:02:24 Success - User chose to install the VTune analyzer driver boot script.

Wed 12 15:02:26 Success - Configuring autoload of VTune analyzer driver for runlevels 2 through 5

Wed 12 15:02:30 Success - User chose to load the VTune analyzer driver at this time.

Wed 12 15:02:31 Success - Installation of the VTune Performance Analyzer Driver Kit 2.0 is complete.

Wed 12 15:02:36 Success - The install destination has been set to /opt/intel/vtune

Wed 12 15:02:37 Success - User choice of install options "-U --replacefiles" was accepted.

Wed 12 15:02:41 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-shell-2.0b-234.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 15:02:44 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-ism-2.0b-234.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 15:02:47 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-bistro-2.0-13001.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 15:02:49 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-lips-2.0-13001.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 15:02:58 Success - Installation of the intel-vtune-cli-analyzer-2.0b-235.x32.rpm.

Wed 12 15:03:48 Success - Directory for global data was set to /opt/intel/vtune/global_data

Wed 12 15:03:49 Success - Wrappers have been configured.

Wed 12 15:03:53 Success - VTune Performance Analyzer 2.0 Beta for Linux* was successfully installed.

------------------------------

Can you please investigate and let us know? In the meanwhile, I think I should revert back to the remote agent!

~JP

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey JP,
Do you know if this problem has already been reported to Intel's Support? If yes, what is the case number?
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
isn-removed924
Beginner
Hi,
I'm running Remote Agent for Linux (vtserver),controlling it by a Windows system. Everything seems fine except that I can't get "Thread View" for no process!?
Also,was looking into the VTune Analyzer for Linux documentation and there is no reference to Thread View either!!
Jeff, please don't say "it's not supported for Linux"... :smileywink:
Thanks
0 Kudos
jayaprakashp
Beginner
I was not able to open an issue with Intel Premier for Beta 2.0. Anyway, I've sent an email with the details I said here to quadsupport@mailbox.inte.com. I hope they open an issue for this.
Thanks,
JP
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

:smileyvery-happy:

OK you won't hear it from me, rostam.

Fact is, I need a bit more from you to figure out where we're heading. VTServer is not part of vtl or vtl beta (the subject of this forum) but is either part of VTune 7.0 (currently released product) or VTune 7.1 (also in beta right now even as I type).

Let me know which VTune you're working with, and I'll take it from there.

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos