Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune and multiple process app

Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Hi folks,

I'm evaluating VTune Performance Analyzer and I would like to analyze an application which contains several processes. The point for me is that VTune ask an executable file to runmy application whereas my test banch does not work this way.

My app perform image interpretation, processing and to finish it submits a printing job to a simulated printer engine. It starts whenI submit an image.

VTune uses to launch the app itself by using the process.exe file thus I can't know which image has been using to run the app.

If you know somesthing

Best regards

Ken

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Nickolay

Thanks for your answer, let me explain you my problem.

My whole app contains about 14 processes (thus 14 .exe files), one of these processes acts like scheduler to dispatch jobs among the rest.

My aim is to sample the whole behavior in specific cases such as submitting a special image to process.

You agree with me that VTune asks user to provide an executablefile to belaunched (.bat or .exe). So I can not provide only one file.

What I've done is to insert my image submission in a batch file, which I can provide to VTune. The point is that my image processing can take several minutes depending on the size of this one.In that case VTune just sample the batch execution and ignore the rest of may application counter to a Microsoft Management Console like Performance, which monitor quite easily the system behavior.

As you see, it is not a matter of synchronization

Best regards

Ken

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Nickolay,

Thank you so much, it seems that the solution without app to launch combined with the start and stop collecting is working.

To tell you truth I am evaluating a 3-month version of the Intel Tools and I didn't find many precise information about these tools until there.

Best regards

Ken

0 Kudos
Choudhary__Rishabh

I cannot see Nickolay's responses. Only Ken's responses. Can someone help? Thanks

0 Kudos