Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

VTune dies sometimes while performing intel thread checker..

pcompassion
Beginner
Hi,
I'm using intel thread checker with vtune.
The file that i'm checking which is an executable file causes vtune crash(unresponsible with no stop, pause button available) *sometimes* but not always.

The executable file runs fine stand alone(without vtune) although we are trying to find threading issues with the tool

I'm wondering what could cause it.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
uday
Beginner
Hi... yeah even i ve encountered the same problem just day before... I hav'nt found any solution to that exactly but i can suggest you a way around for it.

Actually i had been working with the "Quick Performance analysis Wizard" type of an Activity. Here the VTune Analyzer crashes occassionally for serial executable, and infact everytime i try to Tune a Posix threaded executable... - and the way around i am using is, i have stopped using the "Collect Call Graph Data" option. And i find that VTune works fine once that utility is disabled (unused) . You can still however comfortably continue to get the Profiling results of the tools like the Bar Chart and others - you'll not get the function call graph thats it.

My Conclusion : Maybe there is some instability with the Call Graph utility within the Tool, especially for threaded (Posix) applications.
0 Kudos
pcompassion
Beginner
Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

For large applications, in my experience, the -tcheck compilation option is more reliable than dynamic instrumentation. With this option, VTune is used only as an alternative to the tcheck_cl method for viewing the results, after running outside VTune.

I don't see what connection could be made between thread checker and call graph. Those are distinct analyses.

0 Kudos