Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune leads to system degradation

Andrew_S_3
Beginner
My apologies in advance if this is a repeat...

We've been evaluating VTune 8.0.3 on a RedHat Enterprise 4 (update 4) system, the kernel we are running is 2.6.9-42.0.2. The machine in question is an HP DL380 G5 with dual Xeon 5160 (dual core, 3.00 GHz) processors, 4gb RAM. We are using system sampling to sample all running processes on the machine. Everything appears to be more or less working correctly.

The problem is that once we run a sampling activity on the box all processing afterwards is degraded until we reboot the machine. For example we see the following:

- boot machine
- run process A, it runs for 16 seconds (this is normal)
- run process A, 16 seconds
- launch VTune, start sampling for 30 second window
- stop sampling
- run process A, 23 seconds
- start sampling
- stop sampling
- stop VTune application
- remove VTune kernel module
- reboot

In all cases we can see using top, vmstat, or iostat that this process is completely CPU bound, is mostly running on one CPU only, and that there is very little disk I/O. In otherwords their profile seems identical other than that in the slow (23 second case) it just takes a lot longer to complete. The output values are correct and identical in both cases (and we have multiple complex metrics, all of which come out identical).

As you can see, it's almost like VTune is making some changes to the CPU or CPU kernel interface when it launches sampling and is failing to restore them to the initial state upon exit. This seems farfetched but it's the best theory we have right now that can account for this behavior and considering that this software interacts with the CPU at a pretty low level I guess it's possible.

Can anyone help us figure out what's going on here and how to fix it?

Thanks!!

-Andy Smith
asmith11@cox.net
0 Kudos
1 Reply
aokunev
Beginner
Huh, I've never seen this. Do you have an account on the Intel Primier site to report about this issue to VTune developers.

Could you please attach to the report-
1) log file generated by running /opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtqfagent
2) contents of /var/log/messages from point where sampling driver is first loaded (via "insmod-vtune")until it is unloaded (via "rmmod-vtune")
3) tb5 file corresponding to case where app A runs normally (for 16 seconds)
4) tb5 file corresponding to case where app A runs slower (for 23 seconds)
5) (optionally) the app A itself, along with instructions on how to run it so we can try and reproduce locally

regards, Andrei

0 Kudos