Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune not launching application Ubuntu 16.04

Zhou__Alan
Beginner

Hello, 

When I try to launch my binary with vtune for hotspots analysis, it successfully "collects data" but does not actually launch the application. The summary shows zero calls and zero threads launched. 

I followed all the instructions to set up vtune from here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-install-guide-linux (I am on Ubuntu 16.04)

I know that my application runs from the terminal. When I pass the exact same application into the "Application" field and the same parameters into the "Application parameters" field. I encounter no errors; the application simply does not run. Nothing appears in the terminal from which I launched vtune-gui.

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

Could you please mention the application type(cpp/Python) and the type of sampling used(User-Mode/Hardware Event-Based).

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Could you please provide the above mentioned details?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Zhou__Alan
Beginner

Hello, using the hardware sampling option instead of user-generated allowed the program to complete. 

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Are you ok with the results of harware based sampling?

0 Kudos
Zhou__Alan
Beginner

The CPU hotspots analysis report is good.

However, the memory consumption analysis does not work. I get Error 0x40000024 (No data). There is no "hardware sample" option for the Memory hotspots analysis to fix this. 

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Could you please let us know which application you are using ?

Also share the error details.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Zhou__Alan
Beginner

I am using VTune Profiler 2020 to run a binary that I am developing. The binary runs flawlessly from command line, but fails to execute in VTune. When I set it up with the same parameters, I get this error:

"VTune Profiler 2020 has face a serious problem

Cannot open data: ...

Error 0x40000024 (No data) ..."

Please see attached screenshot. I am using 32-byte minimum object memory size (default).

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Could you please try Memory-access Command Line Analysis.

Please find the below command:

vtune -collect memory-access -knob analyze-mem-objects=true -knob dram-bandwidth-limits=true -- home/test/myApplication

When the data collection is complete, do one of the following to view the result:

• Use the -report action to view the data from command line.
  • Use the -report-output action to write report to a .txt or .csv file

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Could you please confirm whether the solution provided was helpful.

0 Kudos
Zhou__Alan
Beginner

Hello, the solution did not work sadly. It also ends the collection immediately after starting and does not produce any useful results. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

It seems like there's a problem instrumenting the application. Have you tried running VTune as root?

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

Due to the lack of information required to resolve this issue, we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

0 Kudos