Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune on Gentoo

guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Hello,

I want to install VTune in a machine running Gentoo Linux. I know there is very possible it will not work, but I want to try before making a new installation of another distribution.

The problem is that when I run the install program, after the license agreements, I get a "Cannot get shared lock on RPM Database" error. However, rpm is properly installed (I used it to install the Intel Fortran Compiler).

Tried rebuilding the rpm db with a rpm --rebuilddb, but get the same error.

Ideas about the source of the problem and possible solutions? Is there any alternate/manual installation for the VTune tool, i.e. a way to extract the RPMs from the install executable?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey guillermo.marcus, I'm not aware of a way you can finagle the install like you want. HOWEVER, it's more likely that you can get what you want one or both of another two ways:
1) VTUNE 3.0 once it's released in DEC 2004:
You can install the (vtlec) GUI on a supported Linux server on your network (a Red Hat or SuSE install), and run the Linux remote agent (vtserver) on your gentoo server. From there, you sit at the GUI and launch profiling activites across the network to vtserver, and get the data back at the Linux GUI
2) VTUNE 7.2 for Windows
Same idea as above, you'd need a second server on the network, but if it's a Windows server, you install the Windows VTune GUI (7.2) and install the linux remote agent (vtserver again) on your gentoo system.
If you only have Gentoo servers on your network, neither of the above will help you.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Well, after trying some ideas with a friend I was able to install VTune performance analyzer 2.0 in a Gentoo distribution (kernel 2.4.27). The process involves, in rough steps:

* Install in a Red Hat distribution.
* Copy the /opt/intel/vtune directory.
* Copy the /opt/intel/licenses directory.
* Copy the /opt/sag directory.
* Copy the /etc/dcom directory.
* Compile the VDK.
* Create the sag group (GID=107).
* Create the sag user (UID=507).
* Create custom scripts to initialize the services and options:
- /etc/init.d/dcom
- /etc/init.d/vtune
- /etc/env.d/99vtl
* Add users to the vtune group.

After all this, VTune seems to work properly.

typing "vtl version" returns the version.
typing "vtl query -lc" returns a list of collectors available.

So it was possible, but required some hacking. Preliminary testing seems to be collecting data both with sampling and callgraph.

Regards,

Guillermo Marcus
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Impressive detective work, Guillermo. I'll run this by the engineering team (they eat this stuff up for breakfast) mostly to see if they predict any problems for you, given this setup.
And regardless, THANKS for reporting back.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
I'd be surprised if the sampling data is accurate. You are building the driver on a Red Hat installation and then copying it to GenToo?! You're probably going to run into problems with addresses not mapping to the correct kernel modules/functions. You will have to validate your collected data, and I'm not sure how you will do that! :-(
Call graph data, on the other hand, may actually work. Of course, the whole thing depends on the stability of the EntireX layer, which is NOT validated for the GenToo distribution.
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
No, no.. I copy the directories from Red Hat, then I recompile the driver on Gentoo. That is why compiling is a later step on the list. I only use Red Hat as a source for extracting the files and copy them to the Gentoo.

Yes I know I will have to validate the results. As I say, the preliminary tests shows it runs, but I still have to see if the results are accurate.

I am also a bit concerned about the EntireX layer, I would prefer to use a newer version to provide better support for different distributions, but I think that is not possible (and I don't have a license for a newer version either).
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Guillermo,
Currently, the version of VTune for linux on the Intel web pages is scheduled to be updated to version 3.0 in the January 05 timeframe (say, by week three or so).
At that time, you could go there, download an evaluation copy of the software, and kick the tires for 30 days or so, while that eval license times out. After that, you can decide if you want to buy 3.0 (obviously, we hope you'll like it enough to want to buy it then).
BUT, kick the tires first. Have a look.
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
guillermo_marcus
Beginner
Thanks, will surely have a look.

We recently bought a VTune 2.0 license. Does it entitles us for a 3.0 license when available?

Cheers,
GM.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Yes. Purchase of a VTune analyzer product includes one year of support services. This includes techinical support and free upgrades. At the end of the year, you can renew your support services for another year by purchasing a renewal license. See http://www.intel.com/software/products/vtune/vpa/pricelist.htmfor information on Support Services Renewals.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey GM, if you're getting the idea we're pushing you away from 2.0 to 3.0, you are a perceptive person! It's very worth your time to upgrade!
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos