Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune on Intel Devcloud

Nikhil_T
Novice

Can you provide me with the steps for running my C++ code on the intel devcloud and also to use Vtune on the devcloud? Any help will be really appreciated. 

I am accessing the devcloud through VS Code in windows. I am writing my code in here but I dont know how to run it in and see the results (Since I am a beginner on Linus based systems and have always used windows).  Can you please tell how to proceed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stas-Neverov-Intel

HI Nikhil,

There is also an option to use VTune GUI to configure analysis and view collected data. Refer to this post for instructions on how to run VTune as a web server on a DevCloud node and access VTune GUI from your local web browser:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Analyzers/Run-the-Intel-VTune-Profiler-Server-on-Intel-DevCloud/td-p/1221867

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Nikhil,

To run your cpp code on intel devcloud you could use any of the available compilers (icpc,dpcpp etc) to create an executable. Once the executable is created, run this executable file.

eg

icpc myfile.cpp -o a.out       

./a.out

You can use vtune on devcloud using vtune command line. The command line could be run from terminal of your vs code. Here is an example.

vtune -collect hotspots -result-dir r001hs ./a.out

You could find more about command line syntax in below link

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/command-line-interface/command-syntax.html

Once the results are collected you could view the results by copying the results directory to your local machine. And you can open and view the results on vtune-gui installed on your local machine.

Let me know if you need help with any additional information or if you need any clarification with any of the mentioned points, We will be happy to help you out further.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
Nikhil_T
Novice

Thanks @ArunJ_Intel 

Can you also tell the procedure for intel advisor as well for the devcloud?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Nikhil

Assuming you have Intel advisor GUI installed on your local windows machine and you are familiar with using advisor on windows. Let me break down running advisor on devcloud into 4 steps.

Step A)Generate a command line from advisor GUI on your windows machine.

Step B)Run the command on devcloud terminal.

Step C)Take a snapshot of the results.

Step D)Download the snapshot to local machine and visualize results in your local machine.

I will explain each of these steps in detail.

Step A)

1. Open the Intel Advisor GUI on the local machine.
  2. Set up the project properties.
  3. Click the Get Command Line  button on the Workflow tab under the desired analysis.
  4. From the opened dialog window, copy the generated command lines for launching this type of analysis with the current settings.

STEP B)

Run the command generated in previous step on devcloud terminal.

STEP C)

Run the below command to pack your analysis results into a snapshot with the "my_proj_snapshot" as snapshots name:

advixe-cl --snapshot --project-dir=/user/test/vec_project --pack --cache-sources --cache-binaries -- /tmp/my_proj_snapshot

STEP D) 

download my_proj_snapshot.advixeexpz to your windows machine and open this in advisor GUI

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
Stas-Neverov-Intel

HI Nikhil,

There is also an option to use VTune GUI to configure analysis and view collected data. Refer to this post for instructions on how to run VTune as a web server on a DevCloud node and access VTune GUI from your local web browser:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Analyzers/Run-the-Intel-VTune-Profiler-Server-on-Intel-DevCloud/td-p/1221867

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Nikhil,

Have you tried out the suggestions we have provided?. Is there any further clarifications you need any of these.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Thanks Nikhil, For accepting the solution we wouldn't be monitoring this thread further. Please raise a new case in case of further issues.

0 Kudos