Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune shows event mnemonic instead of name (INST_RETIRED.ANY instead of "Instructions retired")

Vova
Beginner

Dear colleagues!

I've noticed that on my computer (Windows XP SP3, Intel Core Duo), VTune shows proper event name, e.g. "Instructions retired", "Clockticks". But on other workstation (Intel Core2 Duo), VTune shows only mnemonics, e.g. INST_RETIRED.ANY, CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE.

Investigating this issue, I've found that at my computer, VTune loads pmy.xml containing proper mnemonics and names

[xhtml]    
        0x3C
        0x0
        0x53
        CPU_CLK_UNHALTED
        0x20009
        Clockticks
        PentiumMY.chm

no
    [/xhtml]

But on the Core2 Duo computer, VTune loads pmm.xml, which has no good names for events.

[xhtml]    
        0x3C
        0x00
        0x53
        0x20001
        CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE_P
        Core cycles when core is not halted.
        pmm.chm
        no

[/xhtml]

How to solve this issues? Where the proper xml files can be downloaded?

I use Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 (Build:138).

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Why do you think "<NAME>CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE_PNAME>" is not good name for Intel Core 2 Duo?

Note that event "Clockticks" is so simple for counting the processor's clockticks for non-halt cpu state, designed in Intel Core Solo and Intel Core Duo processors.

For Intel Core 2 Duo, event CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE_P is for programmable counter, CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE is for fixed counter (in most mobile system, core frequency may change time to time), other event like as CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.TOTAL_CYCLE to measure total number of core cycles...Time Elapse (non-halted) = CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.TOTAL_CYCLES / Processor-Frequency / Number-of-Cores

Regards, Peter

Which is to say, Intel decided, starting with the Core2 processors, to use a single string for the event name in all documentation. Thus, the event name as described in the System Reference manual is used in the VTune analyzer, as well. Prior to Core2 processors, the VTune analyzer chose its own arbitrary name for events; this confused users.

Bottom line: your VTune analyzer is behaving correctly.

Regards,
Mr.Anderson

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Why do you think "<NAME>CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE_PNAME>" is not good name for Intel Core 2 Duo?

Note that event "Clockticks" is so simple for counting the processor's clockticks for non-halt cpu state, designed in Intel Core Solo and Intel Core Duo processors.

For Intel Core 2 Duo, event CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE_P is for programmable counter, CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE is for fixed counter (in most mobile system, core frequency may change time to time), other event like as CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.TOTAL_CYCLE to measure total number of core cycles...Time Elapse (non-halted) = CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.TOTAL_CYCLES / Processor-Frequency / Number-of-Cores

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Regards, Peter

Which is to say, Intel decided, starting with the Core2 processors, to use a single string for the event name in all documentation. Thus, the event name as described in the System Reference manual is used in the VTune analyzer, as well. Prior to Core2 processors, the VTune analyzer chose its own arbitrary name for events; this confused users.

Bottom line: your VTune analyzer is behaving correctly.

Regards,
Mr.Anderson

0 Kudos
Vova
Beginner

Thank you all, now it's clear for me.

0 Kudos