Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune tries to connect to some IP

cosmin1
Beginner

Hello.

I have VTune 8.0, Build 21288. Trying to create a new project, the firewall shows me an attempt to access the internet, the destination ip address was 64.78.185.229 and the port 53. The attempt was made by Program FilesIntelVTuneSharedBinVTuneEnv.exe.

The ip address belongs to a company calledPluralsight (the trace have shown mail.pluralsight.comas the host) that seems to be a .NET trainer provider, "the home for smart developers" as they say in the About page.

I was able to create the project but when saving it I got a crash; thetitle of the message was"CiceroUIWndFrame: VTuneEnv.exe - Application Error" and the message "The instruction at... referenced memory at 0x000004. The memory could not be read".

I made a scan with Sophos Anti-Virus, it did not find anything suspect.

Is it possible to know the connection between some Intel softare and a training company ?

I think the crash is related with the access attempt. What do you think ?

Thank you.

Cosmin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I saw a reference on the web:

"Keith Brown, Co-founder of Pluralsight and author of The .NET Developer's Guide to Windows Security and Programming Windows Security"

Is this a case of Mr. Brown assuming it is OK for him to violate the security of a system?

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
paun
Beginner

I think that the above answer does not belong to the right thread.

And if I am wrong, I apologize, but I really do not see the connection.

Regards,

Cosmin

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

First, I think the comment was meant to indicate that it sounds like the executable may have been tampered with and that you can verify if that is true or not using the procedure described. We are confident that the VTune analyzer does NOT make any such connection, at any time.

Second, please see http://www.attention-to-details.com/newslog/391-remove-cicerouiwndframe-to-avoid-crashes.aspfor info on the CiceroUIWndFrame crash that, again, is not related to the VTune analyzer.

Finally, if you had anti-virus software running during the installation of the VTune analyzer, you might try uninstalling and re-installing without the anti-virus software active during the install.

Regards,
DaveA

0 Kudos
paun
Beginner

I did not install VTune from a CD, I used the setup that I downloaded from your website, when I asked for an evaluation version and thenI switched to the license we bought. The installation file was w_vt_p_8.0.014.exe, it extracts all the files in "Program FilesIntelDownload".

So I compared the 2 binary files (F29714_VTuneEnv.exe from the "Download" folder, freshly created,and the installed exe) and the files are identical.

If the executable was tampered with, it is very likely that it was before the setup was made and not by some other executable on my computer.

And if youwant(I assume you will, but who knows...) I can send you the suspect exe, maybe you will find the reason for this attempt.

0 Kudos
cosmin1
Beginner

I am sorry, but I was unable to login to premier.intel.com:

"We were unable to authenticate your access to the Intel Premier Support web site. Please check that your login ID and password were entered correctly and that the URL used was "https://premier.intel.com"."

I was using the login ID and the password that were just e-mailed to me. I used IE7 on XP.

Since this is a privacy issue, maybe a serious one, I believe you can investigate it without making another ticket in your system.

I am a little dissapointed that you did not do actually anything about it so far...

Regards,

Cosmin

0 Kudos