Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

VTune with .NET managed code

atkulp
Beginner
I have been trying without success to get VTune to give me proper results. I'm running the 8.0 Beta with Visual Studio 2005. My original environment was Windows Server 2003 with a C# application to analyze. Running it through Visual Studio or stand-alone would collect counters (usually), but not call data and sampling. I say "usually" because many times the application would never launch and eventually it would time out or something and collect no data. That was under VMWare Workstation 5.0. From another posting (though possibly regarding VTune 7.0) it appears that VMWare is not supported with VTune.

So now I am running from Windows XP Pro SP2, physical hardware, same software environment. Now it won't launch the application, *and* it won't collect anything. It basically just locks up when I run an activity. Whether from VS or stand-alone, I need to restart everything and the activity never actually runs.

Anything I might be missing? It seems pretty straight-forward, at least to capture the QPA info.

Thanks!
-Arian
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atkulp
Beginner
Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've tried with managed and unmanaged code, and even with the "don't launch an application" checkbox checked. No matter what, VTune at least locks up, and sometimes the whole system locks up. Sometimes it actually crashes (tcserver.exe process).

Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Have you upgraded to the released version of 8.0, versus the 8.0 beta you described in your original posting?
0 Kudos