Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Viewing Source Code

newport_j
Beginner

The help documentation that you directed me to says that identifying a functionto view the source "double clickit to open the Source/Assemblywindow and analyze the source code".

"This works if the source code information is available!"

I compile my program's code with the options

-g -pg

Thatshould make the source code information availablesince that is howI compile my code when I want to use the debugger in gprof. It works! That is the option that I use. Now in one of the helpVTUNE AMPLIFIER listingsit says to only compile with the option -g.So what do I use?

I only compile on the command line, I do not use a Makefile. Is this the option to make the source code information available. If not what do they want?I am using Linux Ubuntu 11.04.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
Just use '-g' (which generates debugging information). The '-pg' option adds instrumentation for collecting profile information, which is not used by VTune. Adding the '-pg' option will also add some extra runtime overhead to the program.
0 Kudos
newport_j
Beginner

I think that know what is wrong with my source and thus cannot view the source in my VTUNE AMPLIFIER. I do not have a symbol file to go with in my compiled file.

You can see by the attachment that upon running the VTUNE AMPLIFIER I am gettig warning :

Symbol File not Found

The call stack passing through the module may be incorrect

So what am I doing wrong. If it cannot find the symbol file then it certainly could not show the source.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j
0 Kudos