Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Vtune 9.0U7-1448 on unsupported platform

Alin_M_Elena
Beginner
Hi,

I try to install vtune 9.0U7-1448 on a 64bit machine with (Opensuse 11; kernel 2.6.25.5-1.1-default; SMP; I know is not supported) but let's have a shot.

The problem is the driver that does not build.

Here is the output of the build-driver script.

green:/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src # ./build-driver
Options in brackets "[ ... ]" indicate default values
that will be used when only the ENTER key is pressed.

C compiler to use: [ /usr/bin/gcc ]

Make command to use: [ /usr/bin/make ]

Kernel source directory: [ /lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/source ]

checking for template makefile ... Makefile.in
checking for kernel headers ... /lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/source/include
checking if C compiler is working ... yes
checking if C compiler supports anonymous structs and unions ... yes
checking architecture ... x86_64
checking kernel version ... 2.6.25.5-1.1-default
checking whether kernel modules can be built ... yes
checking if UP or SMP ... SMP
checking for module license ... GPL
checking if LBRs are supported ... no
checking if 32-bit ioctls are supported ... no
checking if mmap_*_read is supported ... no
checking if mm.h is available ... yes
checking if for_each_process is exported ... yes
checking if task_struct has a parent field... yes
checking which type of remap to use ... remap_pfn_range
checking if read_trylock is available ... yes
checking if write_trylock is available ... yes
checking if set_user_nice is available ... yes
checking if msecs_to_jiffies is available ... yes
checking for kernel symbol file ... /boot/System.map-2.6.25.5-1.1-default
checking if kernel exports CPU frequency ... yes
checking if kernel profile hooks exist ... yes
checking if tasklist_lock is exported ... no
checking if kernel percpu segment is used ... no

rm -f vtune.o random.o pcg.o per_cpu_buffer.o os_dependent.o user_status.o plugin.o utility.o vtune.o random.o pcg.o per_cpu_buffer.o os_dependent.o user_status.o plugin.o utility.o vtlib32_64.o vtxsys32_64.o apic32_64.o vtlibcommon32.o profile_hooks.o .*.cmd built-in.o .*.o.d vtune_drv.o vtune_drv.ko vtune_drv.mod.* Module*.symvers
rm -rf .tmp_versions
rm -f vtune_drv-x32_64-2.6.25.5-1.1-defaultsmp.ko
/usr/bin/make "V=0" -C /lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-default/build SUBDIRS=/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default'
/usr/bin/make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1 O=/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default/. modules
CC /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.o
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function ebs_intr:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:3549: error: struct pt_regs has no member named rip
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:3550: error: struct pt_regs has no member named eflags
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c: In function core_vma_for_process:
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:4321: error: passing argument 1 of d_path from incompatible pointer type
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:4321: error: passing argument 2 of d_path from incompatible pointer type
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:4321: error: passing argument 3 of d_path makes integer from pointer without a cast
/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.c:4321: error: too many arguments to function d_path
make[4]: *** [/opt /intel/vtune/vdk/src/vtune.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.5-1.1-obj/x86_64/default'
make: *** [default] Error 2

Alin
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Check /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src/doc/HOWTO-BUILD-VTUNE-DRIVER. Presumably, the steps specified for SLES10 and OpenSuSE 10.x are required: prepare the kernel source directory by make cloneconfig;make prepare, then run ./build-driver .
Once you have built the driver, if you want insmod-vtune to run automatically at boot, try sym linking it into the vdk directory. By the way, the driver build steps for PTU are the same.
One would think, if Intel and Novell would cooperate, OpenSuSE could be made fully supported, along with SLES10.
0 Kudos
Alin_M_Elena
Beginner
Hi,

Thank you for the answer.
The error that I have reported before came after I did the manual preparation of the kernel sourcesl as is suggested in the indicated source and your email..

Alin
0 Kudos
marli100tr
Beginner
Quoting - Alin M Elena
Hi,

Thank you for the answer.
The error that I have reported before came after I did the manual preparation of the kernel sourcesl as is suggested in the indicated source and your email..

Alin

Hi,

I am having the same problem with Suse 11 and Vtune 9..007. Is there an update/patch for this problem in the near future?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee

Do you encounter the same problem with Intel VTune Analyzer 9.1 as well?

Also, can you please point me to the ISO image for the specific OS version you used so that I can try reproducing the problem at my end?

Please note that Intel VTune Analyzer is verified on the OSes listed in http://www3.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/239147.htm- the driver may or may not build on other versions.

0 Kudos