Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4557 Discussions

Vtune 9.1, 64 bit app, Windows 7 x64 - no valid exe controllers

sw
Beginner

When I attempt to use either the thread profiler or a simple call graph, I get an error related to "no valid exe controllers". For the call graph I get the following: "The Activity failed to stop call graph collector, because there are no valid exe controllers associated with the collector." I click and then get another message that says: "Unable to run the activity because an appropriate EXE controller could not be created. This is probably either because a specified remote system could not be found or because a specified remote system is not properly configured" - Note, I'm not using a remote system. The system to launch the app is set to localhost. I'm logged in as administrator.

I'm using vtune 9.1 and build 385 on Windows 7 Pro x64 edition. I'm using VS2008 SP1. My application is a 64bit executable. It's a simple console app that uses numerous DLLs.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

This is a known problem. Latest v9.1 Update 7 (build #385) still doesn't support Microsoft* Windows* 7, Microsoft* Windows* Server 2008 for call graph data collection.

Intel? Thread Profileralso doesn't work on such operation systems - because binary instrumentor was unable to recognize the executable on new OSs.

However you still can use sampling data collection to gather performance data, or use tools on Microsoft* Windows XP Professional or Microsoft* Windows Server 2003.

Regards, Peter