Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune Amplifier XE 2015 with "Error: Amplifier cannot detect Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor configuration"

Qi_Z_
Beginner

Hi, 

I am using VTune? Amplifier XE 2015 to profile a large program running natively on Xeon Phi,unfortunately it fails in the first place.

Then I tried to build the sample application: Matrix included in Vtune Amplifer and copied the native binary matrix.mic to the mic0:/tmp.

Basically I followed the steps as shown in the link below:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-analyze-xeon-phi-coprocessor-applications-using-intel-vtune-amplifier-xe-2015

The application runs well on Xeon Phi, but I got errors when I was running the application using Vtune with amplxe-cl

$ amplxe-cl -r /home/local/xxx  -target-system=mic-native:0 -collect advanced-hotspots  /tmp/matrix.mic
amplxe: Using target: mic-native:0
amplxe: Error: Cannot find product on the target system at mic0:/amplxe/
Make sure VTune Amplifier installation directory on the remote system option in the Project Properties dialog box is set to the correct path. Alternatively, you may use the --target-install-dir option to specify the correct path from command line.
amplxe: Error: Amplifier cannot detect Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor configuration.
amplxe: Fatal error: Cannot create analysis type. Check input parameters or reinstall the product.

There is same issue with amplxe-gui, any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

System Info
                HOST OS                 : Linux
                OS Version              : 2.6.32-504.1.3.el6.x86_64
                Driver Version          : 3.4.1-1
                MPSS Version            : 3.4.1
                Host Physical Memory    : 16251 MB
Device No: 0, Device Name: mic0
        Version
                Flash Version            : 2.1.02.0381
                SMC Firmware Version     : 1.11.4404
                SMC Boot Loader Version  : 1.8.4326
                uOS Version              : 2.6.38.8+mpss3.4.1
                Device Serial Number     : ADKC31600630

Regards,

Qi

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

To be able to do collection on Intel Xeon Phi card VTune should install driver and user level collector part on the card.

Usually it is done by VTune install if you run installation under sudo or root and the card is up and runnnig.

If it did not happen then you need to run the folloing commands under sudo or root:

><VTune_install_dir_on_host>/bin64/k1om/micboot_install.sh

>service mpss restart

After that the collector will be set up and you will be able to collect results.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

To be able to do collection on Intel Xeon Phi card VTune should install driver and user level collector part on the card.

Usually it is done by VTune install if you run installation under sudo or root and the card is up and runnnig.

If it did not happen then you need to run the folloing commands under sudo or root:

><VTune_install_dir_on_host>/bin64/k1om/micboot_install.sh

>service mpss restart

After that the collector will be set up and you will be able to collect results.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@Qi

Ensure that you have installed vtune drivers properly on MIC side, use below to verify: (mic0 is my target coprocessor name)

# ssh mic0 lsmod | grep sep3

# ssh mic0 lsmod | grep vtsspp

0 Kudos
Qi_Z_
Beginner

Many thanks, Dimitry and Peter:

micboot_install.sh did work, and the sep3 and vtsspp have been installed now.

I guess the problem was that mpss was not running during the vtune installation.

0 Kudos