Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune2019 do not support openmp analysis

Lin_L_Intel
Employee

I found from https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-openmp-analysis-from-the-command-line that we can use "amplxe-cl <action> <analysis_type> -knob analyze-openmp=true" to do openmp profiling. 

However when I execute the command on our linux server installed with vtune2019, it cannot recognize -knob analyze-openmp. 

See below:

amplxe-cl -quiet -collect="hotspots" -knob analyze-openmp=true  -data-limit=0 -finalization-mode=none -- myapp.exe         

amplxe: Error: Cannot find knob analyze-openmp. For a list of available knobs, use –help collect hotspots

Could someone help me with this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Lin,

Yes, you are correct the knob analyze-openmp was removed from Hotspots and Microarchitecture Exploration analysis when we did default collection knob optimization work. We will update the notice in documentation your referred that lists the analysis types that support the knob, thank you for the catch.

So now you can go with the following two ways:

Use Threading or HPC Performance characterization analysis with default settings - they have OpenMP instrumentation ON by default \

Or use custom analysis made from hotspots adding OpenMP knob. Something like:

amplxe-cl -collect-with runss -knob cpu-samples-mode=stack -knob analyze-openmp=true <my_app>

Thank you, Regards, Dmitry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Lin,

Yes, you are correct the knob analyze-openmp was removed from Hotspots and Microarchitecture Exploration analysis when we did default collection knob optimization work. We will update the notice in documentation your referred that lists the analysis types that support the knob, thank you for the catch.

So now you can go with the following two ways:

Use Threading or HPC Performance characterization analysis with default settings - they have OpenMP instrumentation ON by default \

Or use custom analysis made from hotspots adding OpenMP knob. Something like:

amplxe-cl -collect-with runss -knob cpu-samples-mode=stack -knob analyze-openmp=true <my_app>

Thank you, Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Lin_L_Intel
Employee

Thanks Dimitry, I'll have a try.

0 Kudos