Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

WPF C#4 .NET4 VS2010 & "Unknown source file"

rogomax
Beginner

When I run VTUNE Amplifier XE 2011 on very simple WPF application, using Hotspots profile, the C# source files are not recognised. I always have "Unknown source file" in Bottom-up report.

I confirm VTune works well on any other type of VS 2010 C# / .NET4 project (Console or Windows application). The problem looks like to happen only with WPF.

Can you suggest solution or confirm the trouble ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rob5
New Contributor II

Hotsposts sampling shows where the most time is being spent in an application. For a simple Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) application, it is possible that most time is being spent in DLLs where source is not available. If you exercise the simple WPF in such a way that more significant time is spent in the .xmal.cs source, then the project source may become significant in relation to the time spent elsewhere as in the case of work done in a DLL. Let me know if you have questions, concerns, or need additional detail.

- Rob

0 Kudos
rogomax
Beginner

Thank you for your comment, the problem was that my sample code was running too fast and ignored by Hotspot.

I've done this sample trying to reproduce a problem I encounter with my real application (much larger, about 1M lines of C#). VTune reports all CPU Time in one "Unknown source file", in a [0@] source file. Its Module is reported as [Dynamic code]. In other words, VTune does not report our source code. My today idea is that the problem may come from the fact that our application is using havilly MEF for code injection (as part of Microsoft Pattern and Practice PRISM framework).

Is VTune working OK with MEF architecture ?

0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

I built an application using Managed Extensibility Framework and was able to analyze this application with Intel VTune Amplifier XE as expected.

When you run an analysis on your application, click on the Bottom-up tab and then click on the Module: drop down filtering control. Does your .exe show up in this Module: drop down control? If so, select your executable to filter to view only data for your exe. Are you now able to view your objects and associated source code?

- Rob

0 Kudos