Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

What does [app.exe] mean?

Deleted_U_Intel
Employee

I'm running VTune on an application built in release mode. It shows the top hotspot problem is my program in square brackets.

[app.exe]

and if I expand that it just lists the same thing over and over:

-[app.exe]

-[app.exe]

+[app.exe]

If I run in debug mode I see everything instrumented in my code correctly and actually see method calls, etc. I have tried launching directly (inside Visual Studio) and then attaching to my application running from just a cmd.exe term and both produce the same result when trying the release binary.

I do have Analyze child processes checked in the setings. I'm using Intel VTune Amplifieir XE 2011 and the Intel compiler to compile the source code.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions on how to get the results to resolve the insides of the application instead of just the application itself.

Release mode compile options that may be conflicting?:

/O2 /Ob1 /Os /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "_UNICODE" /D "UNICODE" /FD /EHa /MT /GS- /arch:SSE  /W3 /WX /nologo /c /Wp64 /Zi /TP /wd4996 /errorReport:prompt

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
The reason was that your program was built without debug info, so the tool uses (displays) [module name] instead of hot function name. Use "/Zi" and "/DEBUG" info to generate pdb file, and rerun profiling. If you PDB file is not in directory with EXE/DLL file, please specify "-search-dir all:rp=dir1,dir2,..."
0 Kudos
Deleted_U_Intel
Employee

Thanks Peter

0 Kudos