Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

What should I check when Vtune reports zero CPU usage and time?

seongyun_k_
Beginner

Hi,
Am profiling my application program which uses both MPI and OpenMP (Both from Intel Parallel Studio)
I use the following command to run the profiler:

mpiexec.hydra -genvall -n 32 -machinefile ./machines -gtool "amplxe-cl -c hotspots -r {DirectoryPath}:0=node-wide" {BinaryFile} {Arguments ...}

The results show (The program ran for 2 minutes):

CPU Time:           0.000
Average CPU Usage:  0.0

What should I check first? Can any one give me advice on it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

What VTune and MPI version do you use?

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
seongyun_k_
Beginner

I am using vtune_amplifier_xe_2016.1.1.434111 and icpc (ICC) 16.0.1 20151021

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Could you please update VTune to the latest 2017 U1? There were several fixes since 2016 U1 on this.

Also please be sure that your Intel MPI version is 5.0.3 or later.

Thank you, Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
seongyun_k_
Beginner

I forgot to mention that I used the profiler normally just before a few days ago.

It suddenly does not work currently.

I have no right to update the shared Vtune package on our server. Could you let me know where I should start finding the problem?
(If you know ... some mistakes that people do that can cause the problem that I am facing now)

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

For hotspot collection you can install VTune copy to your home directory with no advin privileges and check if the problem is gone with the latest release. Is it possible?

Also - could you please try advanced-hotspots? If you have intel sep driver installed on the nodes - I hope this should work.

You can check it calling:

><VTune_install_dir>/bin64/sep -verson

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos