Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Why VTune can profile a stripped application?

YWang84
Beginner

AFAIK, an unstripped application is necessary to display the function name rather than the func@address when getting profiled.

In my environment, I firstly installed an unstripped version of my application, the profiling is good, the function name can be displayed.

However, in my same environment, I setup a stripped version and profile this, the function name are still displayed. So is my understanding wrong about the requirement of profiling? How does VTune do actually?

To make sure the application is stripped, I used "objdump --syms" to see there is indeed "no symbol" reported.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Stripped binaries contain symbol information needed at runtime in the .dynsym section. It is a small subset of all symbols. That is why it is recommended to have an unstripped version of binary file or full DWARF debugging information (better option). 
readelf -s can show symbols from .dynsym.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Stripped binaries contain symbol information needed at runtime in the .dynsym section. It is a small subset of all symbols. That is why it is recommended to have an unstripped version of binary file or full DWARF debugging information (better option). 
readelf -s can show symbols from .dynsym.

0 Kudos
YWang84
Beginner

Thank you Denis!

0 Kudos