Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Why VTune cannot show function name?

CRquantum
New Contributor I

Hello, 

I use windows 10 1909. I installed the latest Intel OneAPI, 2021.3 I believe, and it integrates with Visual studio 2017. 

I run my Fortran code with VTune. I enabled debug information-> full, turned on trace back. 

In VTune, I enabled the following settings, and I use administer mode in visual studio, 

CRquantum_0-1631679247114.png

However, the problem is, after running VTune, I just cannot see the function name, see below,

CRquantum_1-1631679356921.png

CRquantum_2-1631679386635.pngCRquantum_3-1631679409013.png

I wonder, how to show function names? Because without function names being displayed, VTune's result is useless. 

Also, I have some errors in the collection log, how to fix? See below.  Thank you very much indeed!

CRquantum_0-1631679590716.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

It looks like it is enough to enable Yes(DEBUG) option for Fortran projects and /Zi option is not exposed in VS dialogs. This help topic should be updated with Fortran -specific information. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

1. Do you have stochastic_RK.pdb file generated for your application stochastic_RK.exe? What compiler and what build options are used? /Zi and /DEBUG:FULL are expected - see more details in Debug Information for Windows Application Binaries (intel.com)
Can you reproduce it on some small "hello world" application and attach .exe and .pdb binary files here?

2. These warning messages on the screenshot are about system libraries.  You can ignore them if you are not interested in profiling system libraries. It is possible to download .PDBs for Windows libraries via Microsoft Symbol Server - more details: Debug Information for System Libraries (intel.com) 

0 Kudos
CRquantum
New Contributor I

Thank you very much! 

It turns out that I did not do 

CRquantum_0-1631746874458.png

Now as I choose Yes(DEBUG), it can show function name now. 

Here I attached the exe and pdb file. 

The problem seems solved. 

By the way, one more thing. In the link you provided, 

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/set-up-analysis-target/windows-targets/debug-information-for-windows-application-binaries.html

I see that, 

CRquantum_1-1631747318458.png

However, I am using Intel OneAPI + visual studio 2017, it is Fortran. 

However, I did not find 'Debug Information Format' field and Program Database. 

CRquantum_2-1631747412965.pngCRquantum_3-1631747432357.png

I wonder, for Fortran is there 'Debug Information Format' field and 'Program Database' option?  

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

It looks like it is enough to enable Yes(DEBUG) option for Fortran projects and /Zi option is not exposed in VS dialogs. This help topic should be updated with Fortran -specific information. 

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. 

If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos