Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Why does amplifier sometimes reboot the system in memory access profiling?

rudaho
Beginner
Hi ~

I'm using amplifier to do memroy access profile. During collecting memory access data (program executing), sometimes the system got reboot. This happened frequently and I had no idea about why this happened.

The OS used is
Linux 2.6.18-194.el5 #1 SMP Tue Mar 16 21:52:39 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The CPU is
Intel Xeon CPU E5640 @ 2.67GHz

Any idea about why this happened and how to avoid this will be appreciated. Thanks a lot ...

BR

Yi-Ju
0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Yi-Ju:

If by "memory profiling" you mean one of the "Memory Access" analysis types, it would seem that the driver is not compatible with your Linux system. Which "release" of Linux are you using (what is the output of 'cat /etc/*-release')?

Did you build the driver or was the pre-built driver installed?
0 Kudos
rudaho
Beginner
Hi MrAnderson~

I had the system reboot while performing memory access analysis. The linux used is Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga). But I don't know how the driver is installed. The IT guy here who helped to install the driver left our company and I have no information about this. Is there anyway I can figure it out? Thanks...

BR

Yi-Ju
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Do you have root access? If not, it will be difficult, at best. You need to be able to execute privileged commands.
0 Kudos
rudaho
Beginner
Hi MrAnderson~

No, I don't have root access and the company's policy doesn't allow this privileged access. So I need to ask our IT to perform any specific privileged commands. Is there a procedure which I can ask our IT guy to do to check this issue? Thanks...

BR

Yi-Ju
0 Kudos
rudaho
Beginner
Hi ~

As our current observation, we found that this is because the running VMware on the same host. If we turn off VMware, then amplifier will not turn off the host. We didn't know why, but at least the problem is solved by close VMware.

BR

Yi-Ju
0 Kudos