Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5010 Discussions

WriteFile failed. Tree depth more than max tree depth

areiche
Beginner
Got this message when trying to generate a call graph for my app shortly after exiting the app. Got a second dialog after closing this one saying results were not generated. Was using the Visual Studio 2003 plug-in.

Any ideas? Didn't see any setting that allowed me to adjust the max tree depth.

Thx,
Albert

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - areiche
Got this message when trying to generate a call graph for my app shortly after exiting the app. Got a second dialog after closing this one saying results were not generated. Was using the Visual Studio 2003 plug-in.

Any ideas? Didn't see any setting that allowed me to adjust the max tree depth.

Thx,
Albert

Hi Albert,

I haven't seen these messages before. Please check below steps:

1. Are you using latest v9.1 Update2? This version has fixed many problems in old versions.

2. Did you build you app with Compiler's option"/Zi" and Linker's options "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no"? (For Linux* version, use "-g")

3.Youmay test in command line, since there may be issuesfrom Visual Studio integration mode
a) open a cmd prompt, and run your app without call graph
b1) use "vtl global-options" to know default setting for VTune Analyzer
b2)change some settings for call graph, since you saw "Tree depth more than...".
e.g. vtl global-options system-library-instrumentation-level="minimal"
c) vtl activity -c callgraph -app your-app -moi your-app run
Have you seen any problem? What is output message?

4) If no problem in command line, you can use "vtl pack filename" to generate .VXP file - which can be unpacked in VTune Performance Analyzer.

Also you can test in VTune Analyzer's GUI, modify the activity -> in Callgraph Configure dialog - you can adjust InstrumentationLevel for app, user's dlls, system's dlls

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos