Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

application parameters

Abdallah_A_
Beginner

Hi !

I'm a beginner with vtune amplifier xe, i wont to use this tool to profile my code but i don't know how to put my parameters in the field application parameters window.

Normally to run my application "essai" i use this command line in linux:
./essai 10000 10 ./matrices/in/n576_k480_gf64.txt 3.0 30 0.3 45

So how can i passe this parameters to the parameter window

In the vtune tutorial they use dat/balls.dat,

Any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you find it easier, writing a simple script and making that the application to run may be a good solution when the command line becomes cumbersome to enter in vtune parameter box.  

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Otherwise, just copy and paste the parameters into the Application parameters field, e.g., "10000 10 ./matrices/in/n576_k480_gf64.txt 3.0 30 0.3 45".

I guess more to your question, any paths specified should be relative to the "Working directory", which you can specify in the Analysis Target form, as well.

By using a script, you can avoid updating the Analysis Target any time you want to change the values.  Just change the script then start the analysis.

0 Kudos
Abdallah_A_
Beginner

Thank you all for your responses.

When I pass the parameters into the application parameters field without using a script (because I'm note there yet) the vtune gui crashes and I don't know why..!, but with the command line it worked just fine and I display the results with gui after that.

Best regards

Abdallah

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Which VTune version do you use? Are you launching application locally or using remote collection?

When crash happens, crash dialog box appears - can you send me its content via private message?

0 Kudos
Abdallah_A_
Beginner

I'm using Intel Vtune Amplifier XE 2016. I'm using linux in my local machine to connect to a remote server where the Vtune is installed and I do all the operations from my local machine.

When Vtune GUI crashes it becomes like a blank windows without any dialog box appearing. 

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Can you post a screenshot?

0 Kudos
Abdallah_A_
Beginner

Sorry for the lite respons.

here attached are the screenshots

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Thanks, can you please clarify which exact action causes this "crash"?

Can I also ask you to run the following command in separate terminal when you get this "crash"? Please run it from the directory where you can write. Do not try to terminate VTune GUI before doing that.

<VTune install dir>/bin64/amplxe-feedback -no-system-info -create-bug-report crash

It'll dump running VTune GUI process and collect product logs which will allow us to triage this problem. Result of this command - crash.zip file in current directory, please send it to me via private message.

0 Kudos
Abdallah_A_
Beginner

I think it has somthing to do with the parameters. because when I run Vtune with the example "tachyon" with file balls.dat as parameters it works just fine.

By the way the same thing happend  with advixe-gui

I sent you the file you asked for

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Abdallah,

Thanks for the additional details.

I could not find anything bad in the logs you sent me. Moreover, I see collection has started normally, your application have executed, VTune UI was not freezed. When this UI glitch happens - can you manually resize VTune window using mouse? That may help to refresh UI controls.

Does it happen if you specify your launch script in the Analysis Target window without parameters? What if you just specify "/bin/ls" as application?

You said you're connecting to the VTune installed on a remote system from your local linux. Are you using X forwarding or VNC?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Yes. I think this is related to another post about a "black" screen.  In that case, it was the graphics drivers.  Not sure, in this case.   We have seem issues with certain remote packages in the past, though.

0 Kudos
Abdallah_A_
Beginner

Hi Every one. Thank you all for your help

My probleme was solved by using a scripte containing the commande line that launches my application with all tha parameters. that way I only specify the path of this script in the application field, without any parameters.

Best regards

Abdallah 

0 Kudos