Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4557 Discussions

collecting emon type counter data with VTune

DarvZ
Beginner

I'm trying to collect system wide performance counter data (emon type data) with VTune.  I have had some luck with runss using the following command string:

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe/bin64/amplxe-runss -d 120 -event-config="INST_RETIRED.ANY","CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD","CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC","UOPS_ISSUED.ANY","UOPS_ISSUED.STALL_CYCLES","UOPS_ISSUED.CORE_STALL_CYCLES","L2_RQSTS.ALL_CODE_RD","ICACHE.MISSES","RESOURCE_STALLS.ANY","L2_RQSTS.CODE_RD_HIT","L2_RQSTS.CODE_RD_MISS","ITLB_MISSES.WALK_DURATION","IDQ.EMPTY" -event-mux -event-mux-trigger="CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC"

Unforntunately if I add the -count-emon option I get an error "Event counting is incompatible with event multiplexing".  Is there another option to collect multiple counter groups with very minimal overhead (no hotspot information) in one run?  I realize if break this up into multiple collection it will work, but I was looking from a way to collect mutiple groups of counters (similar to general exploration) in one run.

Another issue a ran into is -count-emon and -count seem to do the same thing.  I was expecting -count-emon to display the data by counter with the CPU by CPU information listed horizontally.  In both cases with -count or -count-emon I find the data to be list vertically by counter and CPU number.

I'm using vtune_amplifier_xe_2013_update12 with SUSE Linux system runing on i7-4770 based system.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

It seems there is no luck to do runsa:

# amplxe-cl -collect-with runsa -knob event-config=INST_RETIRED.ANY,CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD,CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC,UOPS_ISSUED.ANY,UOPS_ISSUED.STALL_CYCLES,UOPS_ISSUED.CORE_STALL_CYCLES,L2_RQSTS.ALL_CODE_RD,ICACHE.MISSES,RESOURCE_STALLS.ANY,L2_RQSTS.CODE_RD_HIT,L2_RQSTS.CODE_RD_MISS,ITLB_MISSES.WALK_DURATION,IDQ.EMPTY -run-pass-thru=count-emon -- /bin/ls
amplxe: Error: Event counting is currently incompatible with event multiplexing.

Same thing when using amplxe-cl:

# amplxe-cl -no-allow-multiple-runs -collect advanced-hotspots -run-pass-thru=count-emon -- /bin/ls 

amplxe: Error: Event counting is currently incompatible with event multiplexing.

ONLY using -allow-multiple-runs works (default option is -no-allow-mutiple-runs)

# amplxe-cl -allow-multiple-runs -collect advanced-hotspots -run-pass-thru=count-emon -- /bin/ls ; works

You can create a new analysis type on GUI to add/remove all events you like, then use this new analysis type instead of advanced-hotspots.

Peter_W_Intel
Employee

>> ONLY using -allow-multiple-runs works (default option is -no-allow-mutiple-runs)
>> # amplxe-cl -allow-multiple-runs -collect advanced-hotspots -run-pass-thru=count-emon -- /bin/ls ; works

Even there was no problem when you ran above, there is no result (samples) for using sampling "counting" mode with multiplexing. It's better use:

amplxe-cl -no-allow-multiple-runs -collect advanced-hotspots -- /bin/ls ; multiplexing with regular sampling mode 

As result, if use sampling collection in counting mode, multiplexing is not supported.

DarvZ
Beginner

Thanks for all of you help Peter.  I was not aware of the -run-pass-thru option on amplxe-cl command. 

Thanks