Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

driver aborted: too many sampling interrupts (sav too low?)

hucqym
Beginner
I am unable to get my sampling activity going for looking at L1D_REPL and L1I_MISSES. I have read the SAV FAQ and understand the pros/cons of high/low SAV. I have the calibrate events SAV mode on. I have also tried setting it manually to a value much higher (100x) the CPU_CLK sampling value. Yet I get the above failure. It runs the calibration and sampling run and the end of both, I get this error.

Am I missing something about SAV or is it possibly a different problem?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - hucqym
I am unable to get my sampling activity going for looking at L1D_REPL and L1I_MISSES. I have read the SAV FAQ and understand the pros/cons of high/low SAV. I have the calibrate events SAV mode on. I have also tried setting it manually to a value much higher (100x) the CPU_CLK sampling value. Yet I get the above failure. It runs the calibration and sampling run and the end of both, I get this error.

I suppose it's in that FAQ, but the default sampling intervals should work for runs of 2 to 40 seconds. For long sampling runs, sampling intervals or SAV have to increase.
I don't know the implications of setting your own values but turning on calibration.
0 Kudos
Nicolae_P_Intel
Employee

If you set the SAV manually then turn off calibration. Do you still get the same error?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - hucqym

Looks like you set SAV that makes driver interrupting too frequent. With calibration=on it runs with the same SAV and that's why it fails to complete normally. Get the SAV back to the default, which is 100000 (Calibration=off) and try again. Then you can try making it smaller gradually.

0 Kudos
hucqym
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
I suppose it's in that FAQ, but the default sampling intervals should work for runs of 2 to 40 seconds. For long sampling runs, sampling intervals or SAV have to increase.
I don't know the implications of setting your own values but turning on calibration.
ok thanks guys! turning off calibration helped. I tried a couple values manually for L1I_misses and 100 was fine but 75 gave me the driver error. Does this mean the calibration feature is not too helpful?

0 Kudos
hucqym
Beginner

Looks like you set SAV that makes driver interrupting too frequent. With calibration=on it runs with the same SAV and that's why it fails to complete normally. Get the SAV back to the default, which is 100000 (Calibration=off) and try again. Then you can try making it smaller gradually.

but repeated runs always does the calibration run anyway. So whatever initial value i manually set should be ignored right?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - hucqym
but repeated runs always does the calibration run anyway. So whatever initial value i manually set should be ignored right?

Yes, it should be kind of ignored second time, but if only with the initial value the first [calibration] run was successful.
0 Kudos