Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hucqym
Beginner

driver aborted: too many sampling interrupts (sav too low?)

I am unable to get my sampling activity going for looking at L1D_REPL and L1I_MISSES. I have read the SAV FAQ and understand the pros/cons of high/low SAV. I have the calibrate events SAV mode on. I have also tried setting it manually to a value much higher (100x) the CPU_CLK sampling value. Yet I get the above failure. It runs the calibration and sampling run and the end of both, I get this error.

Am I missing something about SAV or is it possibly a different problem?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Black Belt

Quoting - hucqym
I am unable to get my sampling activity going for looking at L1D_REPL and L1I_MISSES. I have read the SAV FAQ and understand the pros/cons of high/low SAV. I have the calibrate events SAV mode on. I have also tried setting it manually to a value much higher (100x) the CPU_CLK sampling value. Yet I get the above failure. It runs the calibration and sampling run and the end of both, I get this error.

I suppose it's in that FAQ, but the default sampling intervals should work for runs of 2 to 40 seconds. For long sampling runs, sampling intervals or SAV have to increase.
I don't know the implications of setting your own values but turning on calibration.
Nicolae_P_Intel
Employee

If you set the SAV manually then turn off calibration. Do you still get the same error?
Vladimir_T_Intel

Quoting - hucqym

Looks like you set SAV that makes driver interrupting too frequent. With calibration=on it runs with the same SAV and that's why it fails to complete normally. Get the SAV back to the default, which is 100000 (Calibration=off) and try again. Then you can try making it smaller gradually.

hucqym
Beginner

Quoting - tim18
I suppose it's in that FAQ, but the default sampling intervals should work for runs of 2 to 40 seconds. For long sampling runs, sampling intervals or SAV have to increase.
I don't know the implications of setting your own values but turning on calibration.
ok thanks guys! turning off calibration helped. I tried a couple values manually for L1I_misses and 100 was fine but 75 gave me the driver error. Does this mean the calibration feature is not too helpful?

hucqym
Beginner

Looks like you set SAV that makes driver interrupting too frequent. With calibration=on it runs with the same SAV and that's why it fails to complete normally. Get the SAV back to the default, which is 100000 (Calibration=off) and try again. Then you can try making it smaller gradually.

but repeated runs always does the calibration run anyway. So whatever initial value i manually set should be ignored right?
Vladimir_T_Intel

Quoting - hucqym
but repeated runs always does the calibration run anyway. So whatever initial value i manually set should be ignored right?

Yes, it should be kind of ignored second time, but if only with the initial value the first [calibration] run was successful.