Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

failed collecting data for unknown reason

dgeld
Beginner
Hello,
after installingVTune Performance Analyzer 7.2 Build:16929 I got problems with TBS32.dll initialization. After rebooting, all seems to be OK.
My machine:
Processor: bi-Pentium III 450Mhz
But, when I choose sampling, I got:

Sat Dec 18 08:31:59 2004 (Run 1) The Sampling Collector is calibrating its collection parameters for the following event(s): Partial Stall Cycles.

Sat Dec 18 08:32:07 2004 (Run 1) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): Partial Stall Cycles.

Sat Dec 18 08:32:08 2004 (Run 1) The Sampling Collector failed to start collecting data for an unknown reason.

Ihave tried using other events and the message is the same

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
You were correct to use other events. Actually, until this problem is resolved, always use the default events (Clockticks and Instructions Retired).
Try typing 'net start tbs' at a command prompt. Does Windows* indicate that the service has already been started?
What kind of "problems with TBS32.dll initialization" did you have? Were there error messages? What did they say? Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing? Are you attempting to use projects created in an earlier version of the VTune analyzer?
0 Kudos
laura_thill
Beginner
I had this same issue - after installed the VTune trial, the only message I could get when trying to profile an app was "TBS32.DLL error - Unable to initialize sampling driver."

After reboot everything works correctly. Might want to consider having the installer force reboot to avoid confusion.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

?!?!? It does indicate that you must reboot!!!

I think we decided to follow the Windows convention and allow the user to reboot when it is convenient for them. I'm sorry that it wasn't clear enough. :smileysad:

0 Kudos
laura_thill
Beginner
Hm, "obvious?" If by obvious you mean the installer pops up the "You must reboot your computer for these changes to take effect." box with the buttons "Reboot Now" and "Reboot Later," no, it doesn't. If you mean that something in the paragraphs of text that display with the installer box says so...well, I've installed Intel products so many times I've stopped reading that.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion. Notice that I never used the word "obvious".

Yes, Reboot Now and Reboot Later is what I was referring to. At any rate, I think you and everyone else reading now understands the implication of not rebooting after installing the VTune analyzer. Please reboot before attempting to use the VTune analyzer!

0 Kudos