Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

get "cannot display data" when using new created user mode sampling and tracing analyze type

blueplant
Beginner
Dear experts,

I use Amplifier hotspots analyze type, the whole execution time over 3 hours and I want amplifier to collect the data during different phases of the execution.

SoI right clicked custome analysis folder and clicked newuser mode sampling and tracing then, made the CPU sampling interval value bigger, like 100ms (and I changed the collection data limit to 500 mb, if I use the default 10ms, it will only collect the data during the first 15 minutes' execution,the data in the next several importantphases during execution won't be collected...) and then started analyze, but I got "cannot display data" error after execution and the detail is "the data cannot be displayed: there is no viewpoint applicable for the data"...

Regards,
Blueplant
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
The problem should be complicated and hard to be reproduced on my side - even you enlarged sample interval and change collection data limit to 500mb.

So I suggest you touse start-pause mode, and insert ittnotify APIs in code to control data collection.Please read this articleto know more detail.

Regards, Peter

By the way, all collecting time iswithin 15 minutes, otherwise displaying result will be very slow.
0 Kudos
blueplant
Beginner
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

I went through the artical, I thinks it helps, but the bad news is that so far I don't have the control over the code and I don't think manually click pause and resume button during data collecting is appicable to me either, any other suggestions?

I also would like to know how to set the sample interval properly, is there any instruction to tell the userhow to calculate this value?

Thanks,

BluePlant
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi BluePlant,

Yes. You can't use API if you don't have source code to modify/rebuild...

Also I don't think collecting data exceed 15 minutes is good idea since displaying data will be extra-slow after data collecting. If you change sample interval from 10ms to 100ms, 200ms, or 500ms- I think data representative is bad. For example,one function has 3 samples if use 10ms sample interval, CPU time is30ms. If use 100ms as sample interval thenCPUtime of that function is zero- since there is zero sample collected.

So, I suggest you still use start-pause...resume...stop to collect performance in different time range. Run several sessions for different code profiling.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
blueplant
Beginner
Hi Peter,

Yes, I agree with you.

why I mentioned the manually click start-pause...resume...stop seems not applicable to me either is because the application is executing by the command line black box, the instuctions keep refreshing, if I want to collect data during different execution phase, I have to staring at the command line black box and keep checking where are we now...and themost terrible thing is that the application will run more than 3 hours...

I do have no idea about it...

Regards,

BluePlant
0 Kudos