Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

./insmod-sep: line 261: socwatch_exists: command not found

psing51
New Contributor I

Hi,
i have installed vtune 2020 on RHEL 7.6  , and while checking for sep driver load status i get following error - 

[root@node1 ]# source /home/user/I2020u0/parallel_studio_xe_2020.0.088/psxevars.sh intel64
Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2020 for Linux*
Copyright (C) 2009-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
[root@node1 ]# cd  /home/user/I2020u0/vtune_profiler_2020.0.0.605129/sepdk/src/
[root@node1 ]# ./insmod-sep -q
pax driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
socperf3 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
sep5 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
socwatch driver is not correctly loaded.
./insmod-sep: line 261: socwatch_exists: command not found
vtsspp driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
./insmod-sep: line 268: [: too many arguments
[root@node1 ]#

I also have intel 2019 u5 , and it the same command (insmod-sep) worked fine on this system.

Please let me know if more information is required from my end to fix this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mayank_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Puneet,

Intel® SoC Watch is a data collector for power-related data that can help identify issues on a platform that prevent entry to power-saving states. Captured metrics include:

• System sleep states

• CPU and GPU sleep states

• Processor frequencies

• Temperature data

• Device sleep states

You can correlate the collected data and visualize over time using Intel®VTune Profiler.

For major architectural optimization efforts through VTune, you may not need SocWatch until unless you want to perform power profiles. To check if your installation of VTune is ok for major supported analysis types, you can run <VTune Installation folder>/bin64/vtune-checker.sh file. 

Thanks,

Mayank

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
psing51
New Contributor I

seems there is some syntax issue in load script in line 261 

socwatch_exists = true 

changed it to 

socwatch_exists=true

i get - 

[root@node1 ]# ./insmod-sep -q
socperf3 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

it seems socwatch driver is not loaded correctly -

this line doesn't appear in vtune 2019 u5 -

is this related to a new feature in v2020?. I don't know how the missing socwatch driver will impact my profiling activity and what do i need to do in order to install this.

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Puneet,

We had observed the same issue and informed the concerned team regarding this. We will get back to you soon.

0 Kudos
Mayank_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Puneet,

Intel® SoC Watch is a data collector for power-related data that can help identify issues on a platform that prevent entry to power-saving states. Captured metrics include:

• System sleep states

• CPU and GPU sleep states

• Processor frequencies

• Temperature data

• Device sleep states

You can correlate the collected data and visualize over time using Intel®VTune Profiler.

For major architectural optimization efforts through VTune, you may not need SocWatch until unless you want to perform power profiles. To check if your installation of VTune is ok for major supported analysis types, you can run <VTune Installation folder>/bin64/vtune-checker.sh file. 

Thanks,

Mayank

0 Kudos
Alexander_K_Intel5

Hi Puneet,

The issue is already fixed in VTune Profiler 2020 update 1. Please upgrade to the new version and let us know in case of any problems.

Regards,

Alexander

0 Kudos
psing51
New Contributor I

Thank you all for quick replies.
I will try out 2020u1 soon, the vtune-self-check.sh reports that the setup is good for profiling -

Instrumentation based analysis check
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with default knob sampling-mode=sw, Threading with default knob sampling-and-waits=sw
    Collection: Ok
    Finalization: Ok...
    Report: Ok

HW event-based analysis check (Intel driver)
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with knob sampling-mode=hw, HPC Performance Characterization, etc.
vtune: Warning: To enable hardware event-base sampling, VTune Profiler has disabled the NMI watchdog timer. The watchdog timer will be re-enabled after collection completes.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for the Linux kernel. Source-level analysis will not be possible. Function-level analysis will be limited to kernel symbol tables. See the Enabling Linux Kernel Analysis topic in the product online help for instructions.

HW event-based analysis check (Intel driver)
Example of analysis types: Microarchitecture Exploration
vtune: Warning: To enable hardware event-base sampling, VTune Profiler has disabled the NMI watchdog timer. The watchdog timer will be re-enabled after collection completes.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for the Linux kernel. Source-level analysis will not be possible. Function-level analysis will be limited to kernel symbol tables. See the Enabling Linux Kernel Analysis topic in the product online help for instructions.

HW event-based analysis with uncore events (Intel driver)
Example of analysis types: Memory Access

HW event-based analysis with stacks (Perf)
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with knob sampling-mode=hw and knob enable-stack-collection=true, etc.
vtune: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location.

HW event-based analysis with context switches (Intel driver)
Example of analysis types: Threading with knob sampling-and-waits=hw

The system is ready to be used for performance analysis with Intel VTune Profiler.
Review warnings in the output above to find product limitations, if any.

0 Kudos
Mayank_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Puneet,

With the SocWatch driver issue, the only analysis type which will suffer is Throttling analysis. All other analysis types will work fine. As Alexander mentioned, please confirm if the latest update of VTune resolves the issue. Then we can close this thread. :)

Thanks,

Mayank

0 Kudos