Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

profiling system dll under VTUne for XScale

franckm
Beginner
Hi,
I'm using the Intel optimization KIT for XScale (Viewsonic V35 under PocketPC 3.0 + VTUne for XScale).
My application seems to spend a lot of time under WCE dll:coredll.dll
I read in the "Intel optimiztion guide for XScale", that I have to associate the coredll.dll debug version (containing debug information), but I could not find this file on my PDA, neither on my host PC, neither on the web.
Could you tell me how to get this dll and see where time is spent in my application?
Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
Franck.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Frank:
On my V35, the file is coredll-dll.dll. Check your system and copy that file. Note: unless you have the symbols for the file (they will not come with it by default), you will only get Exports information (i.e., functions that were exported). This can also lead to misinterpretations, since the sampling view will interpret any address falling in between two exported functions as "belonging" to the first function, when in fact it may have been in an internal, unexported function.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
I, incorrectly, thought the coredll-dll[.sig] file was the file you wanted. (Difficult to tell since there doesn't seem to be a way to show the extensions of files on the Pocket PC* OS.)
I would guess that this is a file built into the OS image. Unless you have the files to build the image, you will not be able to drill down into this module.
The issue, if I understand correctly, is that you want to know what your app is doing to cause it to spend so much time in the system dll. I will check with a colleague and see how you might go about finding out.
0 Kudos
sylvie_vida
Beginner
Hi,
The issue is as you said to understand where our application spends time in this system dll.
We guess it's in floating point routines but we would like to access to functions in coredll module to see that.
Thanks for your help
Sylvie
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Evidently, this module is part of the OS image. If you have the appropriate SDK installed, you can copy the file(s) from there. For example, for WindowsCE .NET 4.2, the files are in c:wince420publiccommonOAKTargetARMV4IDebug(Retail). If you are using the PocketPC* 2003 edition, you would need to copy it from that SDK. (I think you can download the SDKs from the Microsoft* website.)
You need to ensure that the SDK you are using is the same as that used by the OEM. You should check the System Info for the PDA and check the version information to see if it matches an SDK that is available for download. Optionally, you could request this file from the OEM.

Message Edited by DaveA on 09-13-2004 03:07 PM

0 Kudos