Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

"Collection failed" on Advanced/General; workaround but annoying

Rodrigo_C_1
Beginner

Hi all! I just installed Update 4 of Vtune Amplifier XE 2015 running on Windows 7.

After the update, "Advanced hotspots" and "General Exploration" stopped working (the advanced ones do not work even if I just select "Hotspots"). The exact error message is "Collection failed. The data cannot be displayed" without further info.

Trying to find a better message error, I copied my program inside the "Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin64" folder and ran the program directly from the command line using "amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots my_program.exe". It worked!

After this, I added the "Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin64" folder to my PATH and ran the same command from elsewhere. It did not work; the error message is "amplxe: Collection failed. amplxe: Internal Error." All of this while running administrator privileges.

Any help would be appreciated :(

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

Please upgrade to the Vtune Amplifier XE 2016 versionIf the problem persists, please collect detailed info via command below: 

>amplxe-feedback.exe -create-bug-report <writable path>\report.zip

and attach the report.zip to the thread or submit via your Premier support account.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Rodrigo_C_1
Beginner

thanks! I'll try

0 Kudos
Rodrigo_C_1
Beginner

Hi again!

I didn't have the chance to upgrade my VTune Amplifier earlier, but now I'm back. I upgraded to the 2016 version (completely uninstalled the old one, installed the new one a few weeks ago). The problem persists with the same symptoms ("Collection failed", "Internal error" etc; works if I move my program to the "bin64" folder and run amplxe-cl.exe directly from there, doesn't otherwise).

I'm attaching the bug report.

0 Kudos
Rodrigo_C_1
Beginner

Hi again!

I think I should have suspected about it before (how is that moving my executable to another folder makes it work?). The original path to my executable included special chars: á, ó, ö. Removing them fixed the problem.

Still a bug I think.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I have escalated the problem (collector failed when using special characters in path of application) to developer.

Thanks for your valuable report.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I tried to reproduce this problem in VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2017 beta.

I worked at c:\temp, and profiled target application which was located in path with special characters. It seemed that the problem has gone.

vtune_with_specifal_chars.png

0 Kudos