Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

"Intel Performance Tuning" using remote agent mode on linux

dan_p
Beginner

Hi,
I'm using Vtune analyzer ver. 9.0 on windows, using the remote agent on linux (tunning my linux application). I want to check memory leaks and I saw that you give the "Intel Performance Tuning" tool. I wanted to know:
1. Can I work with this tool with that configuration (tunning my linux app through my windows desktop).
2. Where do I Install the drivers (my first guess is on my linux machine).

Thanks,
Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - dan_p

Hi,
I'm using Vtune analyzer ver. 9.0 on windows, using the remote agent on linux (tunning my linux application). I want to check memory leaks and I saw that you give the "Intel Performance Tuning" tool. I wanted to know:
1. Can I work with this tool with that configuration (tunning my linux app through my windows desktop).

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

First at all, please use latest Intel VTune Performance Analyzer v9.1 Update 2 for Windows* which includes Linux*Remote Data Collector (RDC) - which can support morerecent processors and operation systems.

1. Your VTune Performance Analyzer for Windows* can notwork with Intel Performance Tuning Utility (PTU) remotely, it can work with Linux* RDC only
2. However if you already have installed Linux* RDC - vtune driver is loaded ("lsmod | grep vtune"), you don't need to build/load vtune driver again from PTU/vdk/src. That means, vtune driver can be shared for these two tools.

For more PTU questions, please visit - http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/whatif-alpha-software/

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - dan_p

Hi,

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

First at all, please use latest Intel VTune Performance Analyzer v9.1 Update 2 for Windows* which includes Linux*Remote Data Collector (RDC) - which can support morerecent processors and operation systems.

1. Your VTune Performance Analyzer for Windows* can notwork with Intel Performance Tuning Utility (PTU) remotely, it can work with Linux* RDC only
2. However if you already have installed Linux* RDC - vtune driver is loaded ("lsmod | grep vtune"), you don't need to build/load vtune driver again from PTU/vdk/src. That means, vtune driver can be shared for these two tools.

For more PTU questions, please visit - http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/whatif-alpha-software/

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos