I'm new to VTune, I have sveral questions when I am using it, the application which I am testing is build by managed(c#) and unmanaged(c++) code and native code, I choose windows/linux profile and select call graph, after type the .exe file in the wizard and try to lunch it through VTune, it failed, at first the VS2008 was aotu launched but after severial seconds VS2008 crushed and got an error message(the error message is Runtime Error! Program:c:\\Progr...This application hase requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way.please contact the application's support team for more information...) and another issue is that when I am trying to view the source of some .dllI always got the message saying "...line information is needed..." I did put the .pdb file in the same path as the .exe file...and the function name is messed up, but Iam able to view some of the other .dll's source. The third question is that, I use call graph to collect the data but every time after the running the activity I get many many .dlls some of these are not required for my analyzing, so I would like to know how to reduce the unnecessary dlls? Will it work it I check "no application to launch" then in the add to modules of interest list screen only add the the dlls which I need(is it necessary to add the .exe which will be launched manually also?), then launch the application manually? Can someone give the steps of how to do this? I'm really confused...Thanks a lot!
Assume that you are working on VTune Performance Analyzer.
1. When you used the tool for managed code or mix, you have to use select ".NET* profiling" for both sampling wizard and call graph wizard.
2. About VS 2008 crash issue - sometime maybe components are corrupted on integration mode. You can use standalone application, or uninstall/reinstall the product.
3. If you can't view source file, please check a) if you set compiler "/Zi" option with linker "/DEBUG" option to generate .PDB file (for Call graph, you have to use "/Fixed:no" linker option). b)ensure you have rebuilt program, and clean up stuff under ISM (folder should be under global data directory), then retry. c) It's betterto create a new project after doing a) & b)
4) If you want to reduce overhead from other DLLs, please go Call graph's cofigureto set their instrumentation levelto "minimal"- so there is no call graph data for those DLLs.
5) You can add extra interest of modules in Call graph's configure. If you don't need call graph data from executable, you still need to specify executable as launched application but set instrumentation level to "minimal".