Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

running vtune on win xp and rdc on a linux server

joseph_pareti
Beginner

I have some troubles setting up the evironment as explained in enclosure.

Thanks in advance for any advice ---

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Can we assume that the Windows box pings and can ssh to the linux box successfully? If not, the problem is outside VTune. If ping does not show consistent timing, that also could be a problem.
0 Kudos
joseph_pareti
Beginner

ping works fine, however I use telnet to connect, not ssh. Is this a problem?

Furthermore I collected additional infos on the running system after reading the help pages belonging to vtune on windows...

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I agree that working telnet should be sufficient to demonstrate connectivity.
I found that current VTune rdc no longer works with Windows 2000. I haven't been able to find a list of which Windows versions are supported currently. 32-bit XP SP2 clearly is supported.
It looks like a problem report on your premier.intel.com account is indicated.
0 Kudos
joseph_pareti
Beginner

Thanks tim18, however my e-mails to 'quadsupport@mailbox.intel.com'

bounce back (this is the address I get recommended when connecting to premier.intel.com...)

By the way, the demo I am trying to set up should be quite similar to the Intelwebinar presented by Vasanth Tovinkere "Thread profiler for POSIX Threads". I used to work with the KAI tools in the past, before the company was acquired by Intel and I needto refresh my demos/presentations.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Joseph:

To use Intel Premier Support, please log in at https://premier.intel.com and submit your issue. If you are unable to log in, please send an email to quad.support@intel.com requesting that your password be reset.

Also, is this a new installation of the RDC or old? From the errors, it looks like the RDC installation is messed up and I would recommend uninstalling and re-installing. And, are you using matched VTune analyzer and RDC?

Note: Threading Tools (including Thread Profiler) are supported by a different team and have their own product on Premier. If you want to report a problem against the RDC for Thread Profiler, please submit the issue against that product. Otherwise, submit it against the VTune analyzer and limit your discussion to vtserver. Too many variables makes it difficult to troubleshoot. :smileywink:

Regards,

Message Edited by DaveA on 01-03-2006 04:08 PM

0 Kudos
joseph_pareti
Beginner

I am not sure I want to file a problem report, as I dont know if these errors are due to bugs or inexperienced usage. Anyhow the status is as follows:

- the only mode that seems to be running across the C/S set-up described before is Vtune call graph

- Vtune sampling invariably reports ) The Sampling Collector failed to collect data because the selected event(s) did not occur, no matter if it is run from Win or directly on linux using vtl.

Are the events processor-specific? I have a pIII on the back-end

- when starting the thread analyzer from the Win front end, it reports The remote host could not be reached, even if the ittserver has been started on the linux box.

By the way the ittserver is meant for thread checking (?), does the Vtune front end expects the thread profiling daemon ?

- What software should be installed and from where.

- Is there an installation guide covering all components (vtune, thread checker, thread profiler, including the win/linux components)

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If I understand your statements correctly, you were able to run call graph via rdc. The same rdc setup should work for event based sampling. If you select the correct processor type in the Windows GUI, you would not be able to select invalid event types. In any case, the default instruction count and clock ticks should work the same for P-III as for P4. An incorrect selection of Module of Interest could produce "events did not occur." You could check that by not setting a Module of Interest, analyzing all events.
ittserver presumably is reserved for the case when you have selected the thread checker option. Since I first got the thread checker for Xeon, I have no longer been able to connect to vtserver or ittserver from Windows, apparently due to changes in LAN port blocking policy. I don't know whether vtserver and ittserver require the same ports to be open. I am trying to learn how to get the boxes to communicate either by taking my hub off network and restarting the network cards on both sides, or with a crossover cable.
For thread checker, linking the application with -tcheck, running, and importing the threadchecker.thr file into VTune, should work in place of establishing rdc connection.
0 Kudos
joseph_pareti
Beginner
running the thread-checker instrumented binary on the linux server apparently succeeded (upon using the intel compiler, linking -tcheck), and as a result, afile "threadchecker.thr" was written.However the post-processing of theseresults on the win box didn't work for me (by the way I don't see any reference to the .thr file in the help menu of VTune), so I just guessed one can "import" the data into a default project ... What am I doing wrong?
DOS COMMAND INTERFACE

C:ackup_from_armadaBack_upJoe_hinote_dackup_August_2001 &d_projects_2003

mannheimOpenMPintel>vtl import threadchecker.thr

VTune Performance Analyzer 7.2

Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Wed Jan 11 12:09:05 2006 WARNING: The VTune Performance Analyzer product is

using an evaluation license.

Please visit http://www.intel.com/software/products for more information on purc

hasing this product.

The specified file was not recognized by any of the available file importers.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the message file

for %2.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I'm confused between your title and your text.
If you have threadchecker installed on the Windows side, you should be able to start the VTune GUI, select threadchecker, then import the .thr file into a new project. rdc need not be involved.
0 Kudos
joseph_pareti
Beginner
Indeed, running the instrumented binary on the linux box and copying over the *.thr file, the source code, and the binary itself to the win box allowed me to post-process the results within VTune on Win XP. Thanks Tim18.
The problem with vtune sampling reported earlier however remains; even upon removing "modules of interest "I still get:

The Sampling Collector failed to collect data because the selected event(s) did not occur.

0 Kudos