Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

vTune axmple-cl memory-access hangs on

shihao_c_
Beginner

Hi.

I use the vTune amplxe-cl -collect memory-access command to collect data.The vTune version is vtune_amplifier_xe_2016_update4.tar.gz , my linux version is CentOS7 , and my CPU is Core i3.When I use the action option with memory-access , bandwidth , and  cpugpu-concurrency ,the command will hangs on there. When I use other action option like hotspots, advance-hotspots can not hang on and run normally. My command like these :

amplxe-cl -collect memory-access -target-duration-type medium -target-pid 9692

amplxe-cl -collect memory-access -target-duration-type medium -target-pid 9692 -duration 10

amplxe-cl -collect memory-access -knob analyze-mem-objects=true -knob dram-bandwidth-limits=true  -target-pid 20753

All these commands will hang on when using. Can someone help me?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
James_S
Employee

Hi Shihao, can you please make sure your license for VTune is not expired, and can you please specify the directory and the data collection limit, for example, "-data-limit=0 -r /root/r000macc", and run the analysis again? Does the hang-up only occurs in the memory access analysis? How about other analysis types such as general exploration?  Also, can you please try the newest 2017 update 4 version? Thanks.

0 Kudos
shihao_c_
Beginner

Si, Zhuowei (Intel) wrote:

Hi Shihao, can you please make sure your license for VTune is not expired, and can you please specify the directory and the data collection limit, for example, "-data-limit=0 -r /root/r000macc", and run the analysis again? Does the hang-up only occurs in the memory access analysis? How about other analysis types such as general exploration?  Also, can you please try the newest 2017 update 4 version? Thanks.

Hi,Zhuowei. Thank you very much for your reply.

According to your suggestion, I reconfirmed my license that just applied on June 21th is not expired and  I run the analysis again with "-data-limit=0 -r /root/r000macc" that the command still hang-up .The command like this :

amplxe-cl -collect memory-access -target-duration-type medium -target-pid 20532 -data-limit=0 -r /root/r000macc
amplxe-cl -collect memory-access -target-duration-type medium -target-pid 18475  -duration 10 -data-limit=0 -r /root/r001macc

The hang-up only occurs in the memory-access , bandwidth , and  cpugpu-concurrency  analysis , the other analysis can not. I tried the version of  vtune_amplifier_xe_2017_update3.tar.gz , and the command with collect memory-access will report errors like these:

amplxe: Warning: Measuring peak bandwidth may be not accurate in the attach mode since the system can be heavily loaded at the time of the measurement. Accurate peak DRAM bandwidth is important for further analysis. When collection is done, check the Bandwidth Utilization Histogram on the Summary view and make sure the Low/Medium/High utilization thresholds are correct for your system and manually adjust them, if required.
amplxe: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location.
amplxe: Error: The following events cannot be collected: UNC_IMC_GT_REQUESTS,UNC_IMC_IA_REQUESTS,UNC_IMC_IO_REQUESTS. Consider removing the events from the collection, loading the VTune Amplifier sampling driver using the root credentials, or updating the OS kernel.
amplxe: Collection failed.

The error says need sampling driver. I find the answer on Internet and one said execute the script 
/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017.3.0.510739/sepdk/src/build-driver to compile sepdk. I compile it with my kernel_version successfully and insmod 
sep4_1-x32_64-smp.ko,   pax-x32_64-smp.ko,  socperf2_0-x32_64-smp.ko,  vtsspp-x32_64-smp.ko successfully.But when I collect data with memory-access , the command still report errors like above. 

What should I do? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Could you please do the following command and provide the output:

><VTune_install_dir>/bin64/amplxe-runss --context-value-list

The log will contains some system configuration values that might help us to understand why it is not supported properly.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
shihao_c_
Beginner

dmitry-prohorov (Intel) wrote:

Hello,

Could you please do the following command and provide the output:

><VTune_install_dir>/bin64/amplxe-runss --context-value-list

The log will contains some system configuration values that might help us to understand why it is not supported properly.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

Thanks a lot for Dmitry. I execute the command and the output like these:

[root@shihao ~]# /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017.3.0.510739/bin64/amplxe-runss --context-value-list
targetOS: Linux
isPtraceScopeLimited: false
isTSXAvailable: false
isHTEnabled: true
isFpgaOnBoard: false
isSGXAvailable: false
LinuxRelease: 3.18
Hypervisor: None
PerfmonVersion: 3
isPtraceAvailable: true
areGpuHardwareMetricsAvailable: UnsupportedInterfaceVersion
i915Status: MissingDriver
ETW: NA
isEtwDxSupported: no
isEtwCLRSupported: no
isFtraceAvailable: yes
isMdfEtwAvailable: false
isCSwitchAvailable: yes
isGpuBusynessAvailable: unsupportedHardware
isGpuWaitAvailable: no
isFunctionTracingAvailable: yes
isIowaitTracingAvailable: yes
isVSyncAvailable: no
isSEPDriverAvailable: false
platformType: 81
CPU_NAME: Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor 2xxx Series code named Sandybridge
PMU: snb
referenceFrequency: 3100000000
isVTSSPPDriverAvailable: false
isNMIWatchDogTimerRunning: true
LinuxPerfCredentials: Kernel
LinuxPerfCapabilities: breakpoint:raw;cpu:raw,format,events,ldlat;power:raw,format,events;software:raw;tracepoint:raw;uncore_cbox:2,raw,format,events;uncore_imc:raw,format,events
LinuxPerfStackCapabilities: fp,dwarf
isTPSSAvailable: true
isPytraceAvailable: true
isGENDebugInfoAvailable: false
isSTTAvailable: no

Thanks & Regards, Shihao
0 Kudos