Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

viewing source code when transferring analysis on another computer

Octavian_S_Intel
Employee

Hello

While I read most of the posts on source code visualization with VTune, I did not encounter my problem. This is my problem.

I have run VTune on top of Node.js for hotspots, advanced hotspots, general exploration, and memory accesses on a remote machine from the command line. When I bring the VTune collected data and the executable to the local machine, which was compiled with -g, I cannot see the source code correctly. On the remote machine VTune shows the code. The visualization on the local machine takes a lot of time.

Does anybody have any hint why is this happening?

Thank you in advance,

Octavian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Does it mean that you see incorrect source code or you do not have source code at all? Do you see assembly? If there is a separate symbol file with debugging information for you binary on the target system, it should be available on the host machine. Can you try to specify search directories and re-finalize the result on the host system?

0 Kudos
Octavian_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Denis

Thank you for your message. I have the source code of Node.js and I see the assembly. Regarding the separate symbol file, I am not sure. Where can I look for this file? Following your suggestion, I tried to check what is happening at finalization. I think I saw for a fraction of second when opening results with the GUI that the finalization is failing. And in the Source part I see most probably the beginning of the executable, a text beginning with "ELF ...". This is not the source code. How can I specify search directories and re-finalize the results on the host?

Thank you in advance,

Octavian

0 Kudos