Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

vtlec fails with blank error and a red stop sign

mvalery
Beginner
I installed the demo version of Vtune 7.2 on Red Hat ES V3 (2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp). I can run vtl, but when I run vtlec, a window pops up that has a banner that says "Error", a red stop sign with an white X in it, and a button that says "OK". I ckick OK and it all goes away and I'm back to the bash prompt.

Any quesses on what might be wrong? Also, where exactly does the license file go?

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Interesting stuff, Mark.
In a default installation, the .lic file goes in this directory:
/opt/intel/licenses
Never seen the fairly useless (if not faceless) error you're reporting, but a few things might educate us:
1) examine install log, look for hard failures
/var/log/vtune_install.log
2) does X work on your system?
$ xterm
$ xclock
3) how does the command line compare to the GUI? Try a few easy things:
$ vtl show
$ vtl version
$ vtl -help
if these work, get fancier:
$ vtl activity -c sampling -app /bin/ls run
if that works, view the data
$ vtl view
if that works, invoke a plugin viewer
$ vtl view -gui
Maybe try callgraph too:
$ vtl activity -c callgraph -app /bin/ls -moi /bin/ls run
$ vtl view
$ vtl show
$ vtl view -gui
Report back! Let's see what's going on there!
cheers
jdg
0 Kudos
mvalery
Beginner
Thanks for the extremely fast and informative reply.

I installed the eval lic in /opt/intel/licenses and I put it in /opt/vtune/licenses since I installed the eval code in /opt/vtune.

In response to your suggestions:
1. There where no hard failures and the installaiotn went smoothly.

2. X works fine.

3. I went through all your steps with every one working. The gui came up for the sampling and the callgraph runs.

I then tried vtlec again and got the same blank error with the red stop sign. When I saw that vtlec was a script, I ran it again with:
bash --verbose vtlec
It ended here in the script:
workspace_sel_cp="/opt/vtune/bin/WorkspaceSelector.jar:${ECLIPSE_DIR}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.motif_2.1.3/ws/motif/swt.jar:${ECLIPSE_DIR}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.gtk_2.1.3/ws/gtk/swt.jar:${ECLIPSE_DIR}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.gtk_2.1.3/ws/gtk/swt-pi.jar"
workspace_sel_lp="${ECLIPSE_DIR}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.motif_2.1.3/os/linux/x86:${ECLIPSE_DIR}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.gtk_2.1.3/os/linux/x86"

[ -d "${VTUNE_GLOBAL_DIR}" ] || {
# $vt_no_global_data_dir contains the error msg
vt_no_global_data_dir=$(echo "$vt_no_global_data_dir" | sed "s/ / /g")
java -cp "${workspace_sel_cp}" -Djava.library.path="${workspace_sel_lp}" WorkspaceSelector -displayerror "`echo -e $vt_no_global_data_dir`" 2>/dev/null
exit 1
}
echo "$vt_no_global_data_dir" | sed "s/ / /g"
echo -e $vt_no_global_data_dir

Thats when the red stop sign appears. Now I do have a global_data_dir:
ls -ltra /opt/vtune/global_data/ISM/
total 248
-rw-rw-rw- 1 deepak vtune 1370 Aug 5 13:31 loadersInfo.mdb
-rw-rw-rw- 1 deepak vtune 2313 Aug 5 13:31 {0EB34B70-461E-41F7-B1CD-D30DA327CC96}.ISM
-rw-rw-rw- 1 deepak vtune 2313 Aug 5 13:35 {EFFE3369-10C9-4BF4-A07A-A26516B8C144}.ISM
drwxrwxrwx 3 root vtune 4096 Aug 5 14:56 ..
-rw-rw-rw- 1 deepak software 220148 Aug 5 15:00 {B76D94E2-0725-477A-923C-D7F9DAC1E447}.ISM
-rw-rw-rw- 1 deepak software 1739 Aug 5 15:00 {A0854161-372C-4D9B-B60D-A010759ED787}.ISM
-rw-rw-rw- 1 deepak software 1631 Aug 5 15:00 SymVDB.dat
drwxrwxrwx 2 root vtune 4096 Aug 5 15:00 .

The one thing I noticed is there are 2 different groups for the single user. I had used this command to add the user to the vtune group:
gpasswd -a deepak vtune

So I deleted the contents of the global_data/ISM and tried vtlec again. Got the same results!

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
sharshera
Beginner
You have to set two environment variables, I don't remember the names now but in the installation it tells you this, it seems from your debugging for the script that it can't find the vtl_Global_DIR which is one of the env variables.

VTUNE_USER_DIR=~/vtune
VTUNE_GLOBAL_DIR=~/vtune/global_data

And note that your home directory have to be on the local machine and not an nfs mounted partition.

Hameed.
0 Kudos
mvalery
Beginner
Thanks, I set hose variables to point to a local disk, I can't move the users account over to this machine. I also set his workspace to the local machine and vtlec came up perfect.

I want to thank both of you for your very fast help today. Now the designer can get going in the evaluation.

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
sharshera
Beginner
Happy that it worked for you.
It took me a couple of weeks to figure that one out!!

See how lucky you are :))
0 Kudos